The best place to come to for legal advice is the internet so...

They should be thanking reasonable for taking up such activities in their parks. Sadly, the neighbor probably just hates your tattoo and woman jeans.

Buffalo, one step forward, two steps back.

If this was California there would be full blown protest shutting everything down.

While this maybe true, I would figure on the cops tossing him in the car and making up a charge later. I.E. damaging the trees or some other “SERIOUS” offense.

• Updated - - -

Have you been following the “protests” against tech bloggers, employees, and companies out in California…if you think this lady is nuts. Jesus Christ.

Someone should set up a full size trampoline.

Thats what all of the cameras are for. Cameras tend to keep the cops honest.

This is why asking the internet for legal advice is bad…

A visual observation from an officer IS probably cause. If an officer witnesses you doing something that you need a permit for, you can be arrested. The lady calling it in just brought it to their attention. You can not sue for unreasonable seizure, as it is an offense witnessed by an officer. There is no unreasonableness there (other than the law itself). 99.9% of violations are given appearance tickets, not arrests.

With that said “you don’t have to break a law for me to arrest you” is true, but mostly a technique to scare you. An example of this is being arrested and then being found not guilty. They can also do investigative detentions, but that is not really applicable in this situation.

• Updated - - -

This. Most violations are just appearance ticket, unless the officer has some reason to believe the person won’t show up in court, such as a history of not showing up, etc. Even a violation, which is not a criminal offense, can still be punishable by a maximum of 15 days in jail. That is basically NEVER done though. Trespassing is a good example, and is often met with something along the lines of a $40 fine.

You can do anything you want in Buffalo, as long as you have enough money to convince them to let you.

I’d be willing to bet that they would issue you a permit, but they aren’t going to make it easy or cheap for you.

I hope they issue one to you with very little resistance because this whole situation seems quite petty to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carry a box of powdered donuts with you. If they hassle you again, rip open the box and throw it up in the air. This should give you a minimum of 12-13 minutes to gather your equipment and escape arrest.

Nyspeed slackline meet?

Can you get a “performance” permit for the whole summer? Or will they only issue you one for one day?

I’ll be there…except I’m bringing my hula hoop

Nyspeed circus? We all do our own performance. :slight_smile:

Performance permits are issued on a 12mo basis in the city. They are vulnerable to restricted spaces which is not provided until you pay the 175 filing fee.

would putting up the slack line without using it be considered a performance?

You need to display it all the time while performing. Also, I think it is like $10 bucks for a year.

Another reason to get out of buffalo I suppose.

I walk around the parks here and people do whatever they want, and nobody is bothered.

if you have to display it i am sure there is someone here that would be willing to stand holding it above their heads for your entire performance.

if the permit is reasonably obtainable that is the best way to go.

Maybe spinning it as a performance wouldn’t be bad. Come up with a nice wordy description of the skill and uncanny balance of the performer, etc. if you construed it correctly, whatever permit issuing body there is might actually embrace the idea of performances in the city parks.

Then again, they might only allow it during your hours off performance. Not when you just feel like doing it.

if you re-read my post, I said an officer cannot arrest you SOLELY based off a complaint, he actually has to witness you breaking the law, or form PC that you did break the law. I don’t know the local ordinances of Buffalo, so maybe slacklining is considered illegal without permit… but, the point I was making is, if no crime is being committed, YOU CANNOT BE arrested due to a complaint by a 3rd party

In this case though, the officer was there when the slack line was set up. That visual observation is all he needed to ticket/arrest.

And you CAN be arrested due to a complaint by a 3rd party, 100%. If your wife says you hit her, you would be arrested, based just on the one persons statement. This would then be investigated and likely brought to a judge to figure out what to do. People every day are arrested and jailed based on just one persons eye-witness evidence. It may be the wife like in my example, or it could be a store clerk across the street seeing a crime occur. It all depends on the totality of the circumstances, including the severity of the crime.