The Birth of KDM?

I’m very excited about the idea of a truly cheap RWD sport coupe!

Its called the Hyundai Genesis Coupe but everyone knows that its the next version of the Tiburon. I know i know, it not new news on this forum… But has anyone seen one DRIFTING! Weeeeee

http://img386.imageshack.us/img386/1068/hyundaigenesispressshotzm6.jpg

-THE REAL JDM

Hyundai. Not exactly a name that strikes fear into the hearts of JDM tuners. Search Hyundai tuning on Google and you’re left with a bunch of seriously confused and overdone show cars that can’t be taken seriously. However, Hyundai is out to change that and we as a community would do well to sit up and take notice. You may have seen the new Genesis Sedan. It was shown in January at Detroit and would make a nice VIP platform in my opinion, but VIP is still just a sub-genre of our scene. That being the case, it didn’t turn the establishment on its head.

March 19th, at the New York International Auto Show, Hyundai unveiled the production version of the Genesis Coupe. The establishment has now been turned on its head. For years we’ve been asking for an attractive, affordable, RWD sports coupe with a turbocharged 4-cylinder engine. It’s here and it’s not from Nissan, Toyota, Honda or Mazda. Not only have Hyundai done it, they appear to have done it right. Brembo brakes, six-speed manual, enough room in the engine bay for a V6 and even Bridgestone RE050A tires (OEM on many BMWs, Mercedes AMGs and other serious machinery). If the concept is any indication, we won’t have to worry about Hyundai taking a Nissan GT-R-esque stance toward the aftermarket.

One of the things that seems to come up consistently when Ben and I talk is the globalization of tuning and this car is about to take that to the next level. Will Mine’s, Top Secret and other JDM stalwarts embrace Genesis Coupe? Will Korean tuners step up to compete? Only time will tell. However, the future of KDM is definitely looking bright!

It has an ugly front end, but the RWD turbo goodness makes up for it plenty.

I heard they were thinking of offering the new Camaro with a turbo-d 4.

Edit: The new Cobalt SS has 260 HP as well. Can lap the 'ring in 8.22, same as the R32 and better than NSX, S2000, and M3. That looks like a pretty good deal, and should be in the same price range as this car.

Maybe this will inspire other companies to release cheap rwd vehicles to compete?

thats good that Hyundai is going after a niche that few dear to venture in this day of age

I never thought hyundia would be a company to do this…i have respect for them now.

it’s depend on how much do they weight…if they are fat kid like any other car recently maybe the amount of stock HP need to be increased…haven’t seen the specs yet.

but if they stick to under or around 20 grand as they said it would be, maybe this will be my next car if I ever buy new or not jump into the JDM RHD bandwagon (sorry, RHD JDM is cool in it’s own rights). maybe I"ll buy it after 2 years they’re in the market…so they can figure out all the bugs.

it is supposed to have either a 2.0L or a 2.4L with a turbo on it or a 3.8L V6 which currently powers the Hyundai Entourage minivan. 4 Cyl power should be around the 225HP stock and the V6 should be 300HP. So much potential…

too bad it weighs something like 3465lbs

So is every car on the market these days. Cars that weigh under 3K are all but gone.

The Tiburon will be an awesome car, mark my words they will be huge in the aftermarket scene as well.

Tahhhhbowww
http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2008/03/79_gencoupelivea.jpg

Some chops that people did on Zilvia.

http://www.ziptied.com/Coppermine/albums/userpics/10269/genesis.jpg

hmmm I wonder how nissan is gonna compete with this car because this car looks promising except for the part under the grill.
from the looks of the silvia concepts they better change up the looks

btw those chops look really good

the only problem is that u can still see where Hyundai took pictures of a bunch of more expensive cars cut them up and glued them together to get this car.

that said i’m sure the aftermarket can fix the uglies… they did it for the rx-8 man the stock/bumper grill on that looked gay. but that is easily fixed now.

That shot of the engine bay looks like Hyundai reverse engineerded the SR!

I’d buy one of these for sure.

this car is really cool

i think it looks awesome personally

front of the car reminds me of lexus… but still nice car…

nice car…

if it was a samsung then you could have been right. haha

the turbo-i4 shouldn’t be too bad. hyundai used to be in wrc with their accent until couple years ago so they should have it sort of mastered. their v6 shouldn’t be too bad as well. only thing is that it’s a gas guzzler.

i really hope this car does well. sell lots of units and perform as good as it looks.
let’s pray that hyundai didn’t cut cost by being gay with interior quality.
go korea!

it only looks good in that last pic by trevor.

hyundai should’ve made the front end a little better, at least so it looks good going sideways.

ROTA P45R’s look good on absolutely everything…