The confederate flag. Symbol of southern heritage or Hate?

C.S. President Jefferson Davis made no explicit reference to slavery in his inaugural address, instead emphasizing States Rights as the reason for secession [7].

C.S. Vice President Alexander Stephens declared that, in the longest portion of the Cornerstone Speech, how this constitution eliminated the tariff and removed the Commerce Clause, taking away congressional power to regulate any aspect of commerce. Stephens believed that the new country would have a clear delineation between Federal and State responsibilities, and took the position similar to that of South Carolina during the nullification crisis that the Federal government should not pay for internal improvements.

People made great discoveries and decisions about states rights during this era. Are these nullified because the era was dominated by slavery?

I may choose to fly a Confederate flag to show that I am completely opposed to the Federal Governement’s strangle-hold on commerce and lifestyle in this country.

That’s the thing with a symbol, you don’t really know why the person chose to display it.

By 1700 there were 25,000 slaves in the American colonies and by 1750 there were 100,000 slaves in Virginia, far outnumbering indentured servants.

Quick history lesson, that’s before our Great Nation was formed. Uh oh, that may mean that all of American History can be classified as promoting racism and slavery. That’s a scary thought.

In fact, Ben Franklin invented bifocals before the Civil War ever took place. I suppose everyone that wears bifocals, correct me where I’m wrong Darkstar, “promotes an era dominated by the industry of slavery.”

This failed Revolution strengthened and consolidated Federal power. The greatest disservice we do to children in this country is to paint the only organized uprising in the History of this great nation with overtones of slavery and immorality. Slavery existed when the country began. The subject of slavery should not be used as a trump card to hide the fact that the Federal government was out of control at that time and remains so to this day.

Rising up against a government that abuses its power over the populace is not only mentioned in the writings of the founding fathers, it is encouraged. To label this mid 19th century uprising as an act of greed by racist slave owners, and nothing else, does great damage to reputation of our nation, and the ability of outsiders to understand our Government.

I still don’t know why people Wear and show the confederate flag with pride… they lost the damn battle.

No, it doesn’t. But then again this has nothing to do with what we’re talking about.

I may choose to fly a Confederate flag to show that I am completely opposed to the Federal Governement’s strangle-hold on commerce and lifestyle in this country.

That’s the thing with a symbol, you don’t really know why the person chose to display it.

Riiiiiight.

Quick history lesson, that’s before our Great Nation was formed. Uh oh, that may mean that all of American History can be classified as promoting racism and slavery. That’s a scary thought.

In fact, Ben Franklin invented bifocals before the Civil War ever took place. I suppose everyone that wears bifocals, correct me where I’m wrong Darkstar, “promotes an era dominated by the industry of slavery.”

That may be the one of the worst analogies I’ve heard from someone I consider to be at least somewhat intelligent on Pittspeed. Just horrible. There was no slave labor in Philadelphia anyways.

This failed Revolution strengthened and consolidated Federal power. The greatest disservice we do to children in this country is to paint the only organized uprising in the History of this great nation with overtones of slavery and immorality. Slavery existed when the country began. The subject of slavery should not be used as a trump card to hide the fact that the Federal government was out of control at that time and remains so to this day.

Rising up against a government that abuses its power over the populace is not only mentioned in the writings of the founding fathers, it is encouraged. To label this mid 19th century uprising as an act of greed by racist slave owners, and nothing else, does great damage to reputation of our nation, and the ability of outsiders to understand our Government.

It was an act of greed by racist slave owners. You can dress it up however you like, but thats what it was.

I had a job delivering and installing tombstones. While driving thru a cemetery around Memorial day I spotted a confederate flag among a sea of American flags. Found it being a grave of a guy who fought for the first Maryland calvary, and the flag was placed there by a local veterans group for Memorial day. I didn’t notice any protests or public outcry…Just a symbol of heritage as far as I’m concerned.

I didn’t see the “I could give a rat’s ass about the flag” option on the poll

I am from the “Capital of the Confederacy”-- Richmond, VA. I do think that sometimes the flag is flown to piss ppl off, or make a statement. I have never flown the rebel flag nor will I ever. But I am proud that I grew up in Richmond, with such history. I am not a racist. I believe that slavery was wrong. I do see how someone might be just showing their ties to their ancestors and the history of the area, but mostly I see it as making a statement, and a negative statement at that.

When I see people here in Pittsburgh flying the rebel flag I have to ask myself (after I laugh at them) why? Unless they are FROM the south, they are probably trying to piss someone off. Or maybe they just want to be Bo and Luke Duke :dunno:

I didn’t vote b/c I can understand if someone is showing their heritage, but most likely they are trying to piss someone off when they are flying the rebel flag here in Pittsburgh–unless–giving the benefit of the doubt, they are from the south.

Whoever thinks hate is obviously lacking thought as well as racist to an extenet, do yourself a favor and as i stated b4…GET A FUCKING CLUE AS WELL AS AS A HISTORY LESSON and welcome too 2007!

i used to have the flag in my bedroom for that exact reason… i love the dukes of hazzard.

It’s for rednecks

/thread

Your obviously an idiot