The E30 GTR.

The thing is, 400 whp in a 2600lb car is not a waste. It’s totally awesome. We’re just desensitized because of so many 1000 hp cars that we see posted all over that none of us actually own.

This car was faster than a Ford GT and a Lambo Superlegerra (sic)… plenty fast.

I agree that 400whp is nothing to shake a stick at. And with being able to do a 1200 mile road trip, that’s awesome.

I’ve never owned a high-hp car though.

+1

and you can trust me, I own a modded civic si. It has an intake.

it’s not a waste in that the car is not fun, it’s a waste in that you could have put a turbo on the stock motor or an M50 and got this power for a lot less money.

perhaps waste is the wrong word, over-engineered is probably better.

still a cool project not matter how you cut it.

Because Newman…

now I’m curious about if he put some race gas in and put down 650whp if people would change opinion on the jalop poll and like it and consider it a value.

I know. I should do a race gas dyno just to shut people up.

More info about faster than Ford GT/Lambo claim, please!

+1

I get that you’re happy with 400WHP in a light car but part of you has to admit this project was to make something a little ridiculous and 400HP just isn’t ridiculous anymore. Fun to drive or not the project just doesn’t feel complete to me until it puts up a big dyno number. Then again, it’s your car and if you’re happy… :shrug:

What’s the weak point in the system currently? It sounds like the clutch is currently, but beyond that, can the motor and trans hold up to gobs of power?

One of the truest things you’ve said on here…

Weak point is probably the dif/axles. Factory E30 M3 LSD…

Motor is solid and so is the trans. Clutch does need to be replaced for sure.

How many miles have you put on it total?

This car put down 500whp on a mustang dyno. That would be close to 550whp on a dyno jet. Plently of HP for a street car.

With a different paint job i could see this thing going for asking price. I feel like its a little too customized for someone to drop 30k on it. lol i get it though.

you’re welcome to my lift on a saturday or sunday if you want to do the clutch

That’s getting more into ridiculous territory, especially in a 2600lb car. Agreed on the paint. It probably would be in a bidding war if had flat black paint with black rims.

if it put down 500, why is advertised at 400?

I havent read all the links but I knew it was about 500whp.

Directly from his ebay link.
“About the car.
There is a whole blog about the buildup of the car which can be found here: http://newman.onyxsyndicate.com/e30gtr/e30gtr_00.htm
The car was featured on Jalopnik.com as well as in print from S3 magazine (I have some copies if you want them)
No expense was spared. I have about $45,000 invested in the car, really… plus 4 years of my time.
The car saw 500hp/400ft-lb on a MUSTANG dyno.”

That vid of him getting some quick pulls with a ford GT and lambo are on here somewhere. This car can haul!

the jalop article saying it’s at 400whp threw me off. you’re not getting 500whp from a stock M50 + turbo for long so that makes this worth a good bit more and negates many of the comments.