The KA-T Passes Emissions! *short novel*

Not sure whether this is a big deal or not, but my KA-T just passed emissions, the legal way!

Don’t have the numbers handy but I was really glad because I spent extra time/money keeping the EGR intact, and a few other details such as using “Guaranteed To Pass” to keep it clean.

This is the good stuff…
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a102/DarkForceJackal/1347500801_0.jpg

My car getting tested…
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a102/DarkForceJackal/1347500289_0.jpg

So in case anyone was wondering, yeah, it can be done.

It actually took two tries.

First one failed with only slightly high HC’s during 40kmh test - but the guy who ran the dyno managed to accidently burn through all of 1st gear in about one second when he managed to get boost to kick in. His manager came running over and told him to take it easy…think my sensitive gas pedal and KA-T powa got him good… :lol:

Unfortunately, I think the extra fuel dumped in (runs rich only under boost) may have caused the fail. But to be safe, I changed the oil, turned the timing back from 20 to 18 degrees and put some new plugs in.

That did it, car passed with quite a bit of room to spare!

Sweet.

congrats on the pass. i barely passed etest w/ a stock ka lol

Congrats on the pass! I’ve plugged my egr to t2 exhaust manifold pipe so not sure how much effect it’ll have. You are still running the egr “siphon” pipe to your exhaust manifold right?

Thanks guys…

Yeah my EGR stock pipe was cut off part way, then re-plumbed (with steel piping) in fact to the lower downpipe.

You may well be able to pass without the EGR, i’m just not sure.

that’s awsome dark… at least you don’t have to pay 2 bills like me to have my kat pass cough cough under the table =)

It’s not under the table is you blab about it…

It’s not under the table is you blab about it…[/quote]

haha who the hell cares…stay on topic

what is that crc guaranteed the pass? is it a formula or is it just instructions to read so that your engine is in tip top shape before your test?

You got owned by the picture. Says formula right on it.

Great news
now you can get a EGR block off plate till your next emission test :lol:
they sell a great one off ebay that is held by 3 bolts.
BTW: I am heading to the dyno tonight to tomorrow, care to join?

The “Guaranteed to Pass” stuff is just a fuel additive that you run for 250km’s or so before emissions testing to help ensure your car is running as clean as possible.

Yes, it’s a “formula” as Solarian mentioned… :lol:

I’m on some crazy night shifts for the next 6 days…i’d love to though…what time/day are you going?

I doubt I can make it this time around, but let me know, I just might be able to!

how long did you put it into your system before you went for emissions?
is this a kaka tire product or a speciality store product?

so did you get “double your money back” when you failed? like it says on the container?

you can still pass the e-test even with the EGR bypassed…

i passed with room to spare

this is on a stock ka

maybe tonight , not sure yet .
The dyno guy is not picking up his phone :roll:

drunkmunky - I poured it into a fresh tank of gas and drove about 250km’s with it. It’s a Canadian/“Kaka” Tire product indeed…lol!

Jammin1911 - I wouldn’t have qualified for the double-money-back thing because my emissions system is still technically missing the AIV box/PAIRC valve anyway…and other factors…but it wasn’t really about that for me. I just wanted a better shot at passing and running cleaner.

renegade141 - I decided to keep my EGR for various reasons, but i’ve heard as well that it is still possible to pass without it.

absolum - i’ll be free for the next 5 days or so from 3pm-6pm only if you happen to get a hold of dyno dude… :lol:

You should have came to me haha. I’ve done two SR’s

so list the specs. i wanna see how much it passed by. especailly the curb idle.

Test #1 FAIL - First test, boost hit “accidentally” in 1st gear lol - extra fuel, possibly unburnt, may have caused high HC’s

ASM 2525
HC ppm
108 out of allowed 64 - FAIL
CO %
0.11 out of allowed 0.35 - PASS
NO ppm
339 out of allowed 485 - PASS

CURB IDLE
HC ppm
174 out of allowed 200 - PASS
CO %
0.01 out of allowed 1.00 - PASS

Test #2 PASS - Second test - new plugs, oil change, timing back 2 degrees to 18 BTDC

ASM 2525
HC ppm
53 out of allowed 64 - PASS
CO %
0.04 out of allowed 0.35 - PASS
NO ppm
175 out of allowed 485 - PASS

CURB IDLE
HC ppm
154 out of allowed 200 - PASS
CO %
0.05 out of allowed 1.00 - PASS

I left the RPM/dilution numbers out, but you get the idea.