the new slut...german content inside

im picking this up tomorrow, took a look at it today and seems to be a good deal. its a 1984 VW rabbit cabrio. the exact mileage i dont know and doesnt seem to need much but here is whats wrong with it and my plans

the bad:

headgasket
camshaft seal (normal)
driver seat is falling apart
small rust spot in the corner of the rear pannel behind the bumper
needs a new tail gate
rear struts are worn but not too bad yet

plans:

new gasket set
pull the motor
clean/degrease motor
clean engine bay, fill holes and paint
lowering springs and new rear struts

prev. owner has a set of BBS wheels he will sell me for 150 he said they came on the GLI version and some BMW’s but im not exactly sure what they look like

this is just a cheap car to use as transport while i get my lisence straightened out and get a job so i can get my new jeep

some input would be nice, i dont know much about VW’s so hopefully some of you guys can learn me a thing or two

Pics:

the wheels are called BBS RA’s they are 15x6.5" 1 piece, cast alloy.

good deal? i hope under 500$ for it.

a little more than that but still…

why do u say 500?

because its a rusty mk1 cabriolet with engine issues, and interior issues. nothing special ya know, all stock. no good aftermarket parts on it.

im sure its going to need bushings, shift linkage rebuild. id do a timing belt, and a waterpump while youre in there.

www.germanautoparts.com is going to be your new favorite place.

okay cool, its not that rusty really, with a new tail gate and that corner fixed it would be fine there is really no other rust

the interior is just dirty and needs a new seat, other then that its fine and i figured there wasnt much to the motor so that wouldnt be a big deal

should i just get a gasket kit, timing belt and water pump?

noticed the shifter was a bit funky, hard to find gears, thats the linkage that needs a rebuild?

plus im not looking for it to be some euro pimp wagon just something to get me around until i can save up for my new wrangler

Was Walmart out of Barbie Corvettes and you had to settle for this?

you’d be suprised where the rust is hiding. pull the carpet up someday. ive had a mk2 tub stripped to nothing. it looked pretty rust free, but what hides below that undercoating and seam sealer will suprise you

shift linkage is all rubber and nylon bushings. Techtonics tuning sells a linkage rebuild kit, which is available through German auto parts in halfmoon.

timing belt and waterpump is about 34$ in parts.

+1 for germanautoparts.com

germanautoparts …ftw

well either way its still pretty solid, i wouldnt call it a complete rust bucket yet and it seems like a decent cheap source of transportation

should i tell him ill take the bbs’s? i know they are nothing special but anything is better then whats on there

and ill do some shopping around on the parts, prices on that site seem decent and hopefully ill place an order somewhere within the next couple of days

also can someone tell me what gaskets come in that head gasket kit? cause i couldnt ID all of them

if they are straight. those wheels are usualy smashed

no need to shop around youve got the best source of OEM vw/audi parts right in your back yard and youll be hardpressed to beat GAP for german parts. plus you can PICK THEM UP SAME DAY, right off rt9. and the service at GAP is second to none

I’d pass on that thing if I were you.

ok here goes with the gaskets.

http://www.germanautoparts.com/images/7607a6e2c4231303839313732303/f

VCG
Cam seal
Exh manifold gaskets(4 ind. gaskets)
intake manifold gasket
head gasket
half moon seal for the end of the head
exhaust manifold flange donut gasket and spring clips(2)
water o-rings.

looks to be a woodruff key or 2

allright allright sounds good, sorry im a newb haha prices seem good, ill go tomorrow and offer him what i offered to begin with cause i didnt take into account what else should need replacing and see what he says, maybe see ifhe will toss the rims in

thanks, that should be all i need then

also there is a few water pumps listed on that site which one should i get?

http://www.germanautoparts.com/Volkswagen/Rabbit/Cooling/163/1

the 2nd one. you have an 84. read the text bro. 75-81 is the 40mm hub.

later model is the 30mm.

sorry man this is still all new, alot of this crap is gibberish to me and overwhelming/exciting lmao

thanks for the help :thumbup

I finally agree with brett. If you paid over $500 you over paid. Cabrios are awesome cars for the womenz

word.

im not worried about it, i have just wanted a mk1 sence i was little and it was cheap and its gonna get me around for a while. while i get my lisence straightened out and find a good job and maybe start school

waiting to hear back about a 16v 1.8 to swap in, if not it looks like the little 8v is getting a big old box of gaskets thrown at it

16v will need gaskets and other parts thrown at it too. plus youll need a manifold for the 16v to mk1 chassis, scirocco intake manifold is prefered for ease of install using stock fuel lines. CIS blows though man. if youre considering a swap ever, just do a ABA swap and just drive it… all of my CIS-E 16v’s ive had have been finicky, they really need a more modern EFI setup. even digifant 1 isnt ideal. a custom megasquirt is the way to go with a 16v if you want a solid, reliable runner.

but buying an old VW isnt usually the best idea if you are broke.