My winter build... VW content inside :eek:

Well after browsing through the crazy builds in this section, my penis feels smaller but i figured id share part what ive been doing this winter on the dub.

It all started last september when i received a phone call from a very close family friend that lives in Nova. The family knew i was always hooked on volkswagens and with the purchase of their new car, they had no need for the 1990 cabriolet sitting in their driveway. So they called me up and asked if i was interested in taking it. That next week i borrowed my sexy friend osiris’s truck and trek’d on down. I get down there and barely remember the car from a previous visit three years prior, but when i arrived it was probably the best case scenario. Triple black combo with absolutely NO rust. The underbody on the car was cleaner than my dad’s 04 explorer. Absolutely MINT. Im thinking perfect. Stayed with the family for the weekend and came back with a Uhaul and perfect running mint mkI. The best thing is, i paid ZERO for it. Total cost for the weekend with gas/food/Uhaul was under 600

My plans were to keep it as is, but anyone who knows teh shrives knows better than that. Well after selling the 91 jetta vr6 i was catching the “itch” again so i laid out a gameplan and started going to town.

This is how it was. Completely stock condition minus an aftermarket cd player. Original Ohio sales receipt, owners manual, and window sticker was still in the glovebox. This was a score and a half.

(My pictures of it in stock condition are at my parents house, but this is exactly what it looked like)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/Shriver87/100_1654.jpg

First thing i did was pull the Original 1.8L 8v. The car/drivetrain just rolled 104k and ran strong.

Interior, ugly as sin grey plaid that was dirty but good condition

Motor of choice. Simple yet peppy upgrade: 2.0L 16v out of a 1992 gli. 1.8L 16v head from a mkII scirocco. Brand new headgasket and fairly new OEM clutch.

List of maintenance

• Oil pan gasket
  • Upper/lower intake manifold gaskets
  • Exhaust manifold gaskets
  • Downpipe gasket
  • Valve cover gasket
  • Dipstick w/ holder
  • Throttle body gasket
  • Scirocco speedo cable
  • OEM clutch cable and linkage
  • Alternator
  • AC/Power steering delete bracket with serp belt
  • Bosch plugs
  • Eurosport wires
  • Cap/rotor
  • Probably every single bolt/nut possible
  • Bosch fuel filter
  • Injecter seals
  • Fuel distributor
  • Coolant flanges and gaskets
  • OEM hoses
  • Mintex pads/Zimmerman rotors for the front
  • Poly motor mounts (4)
    Probably more i can’t think of

Anyways, before i installed the motor i took out the power steering rack and tie rods and installed a manual rack/tie rods from an 84 rabbit. Also swapped the U-joint in from an 84 rabbit to make it work. New tie rod ends were done while i was in there. Brand new poly rack bushings were done. Thanks to my buddy Dotts for the hookup on the rack/help.

After i finished the rack/tie rods i put the 16v in. Along with that i installed my new stratmosphere adjustable coilovers

With the 16v motor in a mkI chassis i needed a few conversion parts such as a Techtonics scirocco downpipe. While i was at it i bought a buch more.

• TT stainless downpipe
  • TT high flow stainless cat
  • TT 2.25" catback exhaust with a dynomax muffler
  • Scirocco short shift kit with brand new bushings
  • European Crosshair round headlights
  • JOM badgeless grille
  • European duckbill
  • European plastic bumpers with rebar
  • Hella Air horns
  • OEM black snowflake wheels/tires
  • Recaro Interior
  • MkII gti steering wheel

A few pictures

Since moving out ive been just tinkering every weekend but the end is near. Steve from Autohaus is making a conversion harness for the CIS ecu and we’ll try firing it up this week

Ill keep you guys updated once i can pull it out and wash/wax it and take some attractive pictures outside of the garage LOL.

:headbang:

looks good :tup:

hot

pretty nifty :tup:

That looks really good,

ur so silly with your volkswagons

thanks for ever calling me :tdown:

very nice man, awesome little car you built :tup: you brining this up to sg anytime soon when its done??

Looks good. 0 Offset rims??

ugly car, but very cool anyway…

lol better than i expected… took 7 responses til this

thanks guys. a LOT of work went into this over the winter

i didn’t give the project justice in this write up, a lot more was done/changed than meets the eye

the 15" steel wheels on your Jetta need to be on this car. It would look 110X better, and of your 2 cars, this is the one that should look good.

Im searching for new wheels as we speak JJ

The corrado steelies were too big for the cabby IMHO especially with a 50 series tire.

Im looking for a set of 14" oem steelies in good condition and probably going to powdercoat them grey or something.

Or i still might pick up steve’s 13" bmw bbs wheels that are mintttttttt

oh how i want my first ever ride back now…1983 rabbit gti…:tup: to a great project and it looks damned nice also.

sweet car but you should have thrown in the 3.2 VR

PEPPY ragtop

You shouldn’t. That’s some great work you’ve done there. Probably was killing you not to post up earlier.

Stance looks great: check
Added more power: check
Cleaned up and improved the looks: check
Well documented build: check

Looks great man.

Seems like a very cool toy. So how much does that bitch basket weigh?

When are we going to go for a ride and hold hands? VW style.

looking good, :tup:

clean shell, nice freebie

kill yourself.

also my first ride.

i thought that too, but seeing those on the car, they looked huuuuuuge! he does need something different, but the steelies just weren’t going to do it. i say get 13 or 14 inch widened steelies.

EDIT: the car looks awesome shrives. i’ve been screaming at you to get a duckbill lip on your last 3 projects and i’m glad you finally listened. and single round cross hairs are so fly. :tup: