The OFFICIAL Gun Thread.

anyone ever built an upper? all my builds ive bought complete uppers. however the 14.5 inch build ill be doing the entire thing included building the upper. anyone have any first hand experience doing this?[/quote]

I’m pretty sure JVG has assembled some before and I know Mike Centola who is the owner of All Star tactical would have some knowledge in that area.

Here’s a quick picture of my AR and a couple P mags. I also have a mosin, .22 and a 12 gauge. The AR is a M&P15 chambered in 5.56 with a medium barrel and yes the stock is pinned.

i wish all star tactical was closer :frowning:

i love my mosin, i have one that has been redone with synthetic stock, chromed and jeweled trigger and bolt, barrel shortened and modified. doesnt even look like a mosin anymore just like a tactical rifle. i also have a fs 2000, ps90, and a few other goodies lol… im currently looking to get me a scar. but getting them ny compliant is a PITA and a little costly.

The mosins are fun to shoot, mine kicks like a mule though. I picked mine up for a 100 bucks so I couldn’t resist.

I’m pretty sure JVG has assembled some before and I know Mike Centola who is the owner of All Star tactical would have some knowledge in that area.
[/quote]

Lolz, yeah i do most of his upper work, he just buys all the bits and screws the easy stuff together :lol

But really yeah he does piece his stuff vs buying full uppers. saves some money on basic guns and/or allows you to get better parts(like coated bolts, pins, etc) for the same price.

My next gun, Mc Millan Tac 50.

plenty of nice local shops around here

I’m pretty sure JVG has assembled some before and I know Mike Centola who is the owner of All Star tactical would have some knowledge in that area.[/quote]

I’ve done it a ton of times. Its not to hard as long as you have the right ar tools, specificall the two different types of barrel nut wrenches. Building your own gun piece for piece just makes the end product more fulfilling. I do out source my pinning and welding to boxersix.

:tongue

Gotta hand it to him though, JVG’s ar-15 is on my list of guns to steal from him during zombie apocalypse. gun is stupid nice and a blast to shoot, and he pieced it together. His new one is going to be even better.

i agree. when i do my 14.5 build i want it pieced because i want a certain rail, certain barrel, and certain muzzle brake along with certain recievers. so building it piece by piece is the best option for that specific build. also doing it piece by piece allows you to do it over a month or two rather than needed to front all the cash up front, you can order as you want or need parts. do you have links to the right tools? ill pick them up when i start the build.

boxersix- where are you located? and how much to change a muzzle brake and re-pin and weld it? i have two that i need done now because i am just going to change the brake and my future build(s) will need them done.

I use midwayusa they have a lot available and places locally arent usually in the same ballpark price wise. Zacks in clifton park has some stuff too. sometimes the prices are right some stuff can be overpriced but in a pinch they arent far away.

I live in B-Spa/saratoga but work in and around albany/schenectady/amsterdamn depending on what I’m doing that day.

If you just bring me the upper(or barrels) and the new brakes $20 each for pre-threaded barrels to swap everything and pin/weld.

I don’t thread the barrels myself as it’s too complicated to do the right way on my equipment(dead rotational alignment using no shims/washers). Better to send out if the barrel needs threading.

but what tools should i get?

that sounds great. ill get the brakes i want and make arrangements when then get here.

The ar multitool made by dpms or stoner is a must have. The barrel nut tool or hand guard tool depends on the style of hand guard you will need. An upper receiver block for a vise. You will need access to a vice to assemble the upper at some point.

Anyone shot an SKS? My Father has a NIB Norinco that he’s had for years. They look like they may just be fun. I like the older battle rifle look of them.

Also, my friend is looking for a reliable and well supported company that makes AR’s. He also wants to gadget it up as well.

I’ve shot one a couple times, and I know JVG has one, forgot who else. Typical AK based rifle, nothing too special IMO.

For ARs, I typically stick w/ DPMS, as I’m on my second AR from them.

You could always check out Wilson Combat or Daniel Defense as well.

I have an SKS. Fun rifle. Ammo can be pricey, gun always shoots well even dirty. Sighting is a little pita but once you get used to it its not bad.

For ar a nice affordable base model DPMS or Rock River Arms would be a good starting point if your going to mod it up. You can buy a lower from a local gun shop and buy pieces online. They are easy to assemble. I built my .308 AR10 from scratch (all collected pieces) also assemble most of cosseys AR10 as well.

Rock River and Stag keep coming back as good starting points for an AR platform that someone wants to make look like a transformer. I’m not really into all the gadgets and gizmos on rifles. I personally prefer old school battle rifles. But that is what my friend wants to do.