The Official NYSpeed.com $1003 performance build off

Here is what I’d like to see, $1003 build up

3 performance rounds:
1/4 Mile
Dunville Time Trial
0-100-0

Total car cost must be below $1003 dollars, including purchase price.
Tires/Suspension/Weight reduction/Engine is free
No sponsers/unnaturally cheap parts from shops
If you can find something on ebay/swap meet on a forum, that’s legal, but you need to provide the original post/reciept as proof

That’s all I’ve thought of so far.

Like this, only cheaper.

Have you ever wanted to go racing? Realized it was too expensive? For the seventh time, we’re challenging our readers to buy, build and race a car on a budget. The rules are simple, just spend $2006 on a car that can drag race, autocross and be concours judged. Teams have to buy, build and prepare a car for our automotive triathlon — drag racing, autocross and concours judging — all while facing a strict budget cap. For 2006, we have upped the budget amount one whole dollar to $2006.

http://www.grmotorsports.com/news/category/2006-challenge/

Fuck AutoX, $25 for parking lot vs $50 for a track. And Concours :lol:, BORING.

“Tires/Suspension/Weight reduction/Engine is free”

further explain, i mean the weight reduction is obviously free, but the other stuff i dont get what you mean, how could it be free?

edit: can we get away with the car not being registered and/or insured?

Tires/suspension/brakes should be mostly unregulated since its safety equipment.

so it would basically just be engine mods?

edit: i can see the need to have safty inspections on the cars but i dont think u could say that the parts would be not factored intot he cost

if cost of car isn’t included, i want to be on turbols1’s team. :slight_smile:

my civic that I had/have for sale would be great, i or SOMEONE would still have 857 left if the budget was $1007

“Free” in that sense means, they are not what is considered safety equiptment. Meaning you can modify them as you see fit, aka mods to them are unregulated or “free”

ahhhh, word.

wat would prevent ppl from say using say a motor they already have, and selling it to the team for a cheap price?

I think that falls under that, but you’d need an independant adjudicator to verify where parts came from if something was protested.

And if we went to Dunnville we could have a MPG challange on the way to the track!

^^

Haha.

EDIT: How can a post like this be made with no clarification. It’s making me all giddy inside.

$1003 would be a great number to put every cent into my suspension. I was planning on doing this over the winter anyways, with a budget only a bit over $1003. I’ll be on my own team, and we’ll see who can beat me around Dunnville :slight_smile: (as long as cost of car isn’t included)

edit: I hope this little contest will involve more than just straight line racing

This could be very interesting… if it actually ever happens.

isnt the cost of ur car around 30k man???

lol

i got dibs on dreid’s car

I didn’t read if the cost of the car was included or not, maybe I missed it.

Plus it’s a Subaru, and slow.

The cost of the car will be included somehow. Otherwise it’d totally defeat the purpose of this.

Cost of car definately included.

That’s ok, in that case the obvious solution to win this would be to steal a certain red lotus and then sink the $1003 into it.

Cuz the cost of the car would then be 0.

Technically.