The "Oil Prices" thread.

I love you JJ.

Public transportation in WNY is balls bad.

Hell, the town I am moving to in VT has like 30k people and their public transportation is much better.

:clap:

Yeah I average about 180 miles to a 14 gallon gas tank sooo…I try not to drive more then I have to. I’ve been fishing alot locally as of late. Its damn near free and its fun. That way I don’t have to spend money goin out and shit.

Possibly because we have no traffic so there is no major need for public transportation…

so how fast is your car now?

I take the subway every time I go to a Sabres game. Whats your problem with it? Scared of people of the “other” color?

I <3 you guys hahaha.

this?

Mark my words, unless some alternate energy takes over, gas prices will never see 2.99 or less ever again.

Oil climbs $5 on the european bank’s statement that they might raise the key interest rate at the next meeting.

Figures, just as the dollar is starting to make a climb someone kicks it’s legs out.

Its retarded how much Gas is costing us. There is no real reason for it.

Actually, there are lots of real reasons for it.

• Speculation pushing up prices.
  • A weak dollar causing us to require using more dollars for each barrel, caused by the low rates the fed put in place to help the housing market.
  • Increased demand from places like China and India.
  • Too much consumption from the US, with people driving trucks/suvs who don’t have any real reason to need them. Single occupancy commuters. Kids who go out “cruising” with no destination. And a host of other ways we “waste” gas.
  • No new refineries since the 70’s.
  • A botique blend of fuel for almost every state, greatly complicating refinery production.
  • Unstable regions with oil that keep having pipeline attacks (Nigeria)
  • The windfall profit taxes they tried in the 70’s against oil companies resulted in them not investing here. And we’re getting ready to do this one again and not learn from our mistakes.
  • Refusal to invest in nuclear energy, which would allow us cheap electricty for heat to reduce the north’s fuel oil consumption.
  • The joke that is ethanol.Just the reasons I can think off the top of my head.

You’re right. Aside from increased demand due to the industrialization of India and China as well as the deflated value of the dollar stemming from the subprime mortgage fallout in this country and the dollar being the only unit of currency with which oil can be bought on the world market, coupled with commodity trading speculation, there is absolutely no reason for the gas prices to be so high.

EDIT: Forgot about refinery capacity and political instability based supply issues. Jay wins!

But yeah, there’s no reason for it, it’s all a big bad oil company conspiracy that Bush and the CEO of Exxon dreamed up while taking a break from planning 9/11.

^^^ so very true
but on another note: fuck the federal reserve and its money…we should go back to the gold standard but that will never happen :frowning:

you are the fuckin man! BMW/mercedes Smarts ftw. until people are only spending 20$ at the pump and fuel companies have to compensate and make gas 10$ a gallon

Fucking hell. Shit’s rising faster than my wang at a girlscout camp.

131+ right now. Just when I thought things were settling down.

Is this from the EU telling us bloody americans to piss off by jacking their interest rates?

Pretty much yes.

That and the unemployment rate jumping to 5.5, which means the fed can’t raise our rates, which means the dollar will fall today. More investors will buy oil as a hedge against the falling dollar.

ummmmm no. trying to get on the f-ing thing on the ride home is ridiculous with the crowds. Mass transit in buffalo is a JOKE. Maybe I am spoiled from living in the NYC area for most of my life though. I like to actually sit down on the train.

Yeah but aside from Sabres games when is it busy? Maybe I’m missing something, but when I can drive anywhere in the city in 20 minutes at 5pm on Friday I kind of feel like the reason we don’t have much of a mass transit system is because we don’t need a mass transit system.