Think i need my crank machined? (56k no)

ouch. that sucks.

Eeeeeek, yeah that crank is a bit toasted. :frowning:

A fully built shortblock should be like 4K and up with upgraded pistons, rods, bearings, bla bla bla. A brand new toyota stock shortblock is around 1800 for a GTE that will handle lots o power

from where?

IDK if I missed this or not, but were you using a quality oil pressure gauge? First your turbo blew, now your motor, sounds like oil pump failure to me. After an engine rebuild it’s ALWAYS a good idea to check the vitals with an oil pressure gauge and a temp gauge to make sure everything is kosher.

The damage you see on the crank`and bearings was caused by recirculating metal through the oil. One important piece of missing information here is that the center section of the turbo was worn so badly that the impeller could be spun indepedently of the turbine. The car was driven this way for an unknown number of miles. the compressor wheel was shattered and pieces were found throughout the intake tract. There was no sign of lower end noise everytime I had the car here to include when it was brought back to remove the turbo. If you’ve seen the pics of the metal in the filter, you could probably agree that the chances are pretty good the filter was clogged to the point of the safety valve opening and recirculating unfiltered oil through the engine. All of this metal obviously also went through the oil pump. When the new turbo was installed, the lower oil pan was never removed, subsequently the sump was never checked and/or cleaned. despite prvious posts saying it was. I made it very clear that there was going to ne an abundance of metal in the oil and the crank should be checked. However I’m sure at that point the outcome would have been the same. The next time I saw the car it was brought by to check the “same” noise it had before. The noise was an obvious rod flutter, anyone who works on cars would pick it up. When the car was started after it sat you would here every rod flutter until pressure was built up. It’s unclear what caused the original turbo to go, There was a large amount of stress on the turbo from a poorly manufactured downpipe. Despite repeated attempts the supplier would not provide a new one. OIl feed was run from a main oil galley in the side of the block. Everything was torqued to spec with a snap-on digital techwrench. This information should help shed some light on the demise of this engine

thanks for the input Jeff…

There are so many varibles to what happend. I just have bad luck lol.

So what ur really saying is Cutting Corners FTL…in the case of not pulling the pan when he new turbo was installed…and not getting a new downpipe made when many people advised him to get one after he posted pics of the shitty one

let me make it clear to you that these noise happend right after first start up after install of new turbo . And this noise i am 100% sure was the same noise i had before the turbo blew.

ouch!

:tdown:

sorry to hear bout that dos

PS: does a certain :snky: homofaggor still want to kick my ass? :rofl:

We didnt cut corners the downpipe fit perfect i dunno what the original problem was but when me and HRK put it on there were no problems other then the bottom wastegate bolt having no room to fit between the pipe and the flange and a smaller bolt fixed that. The original thought was the oil pan didnt need to be dropped because i wasnt told of any noise but after i cut open the oil filter and saw the metal in there we decided to start it up with some new oil and see if there is anymore metal in the filter because what was in the filter looked like metal dust from the hone and the oil seemed to be fine other then that. He was gonna change the oil run it for 10 mins then drain and recheck. As soon as he started the car we knew there were problems. At first i didnt hear the noise, because if deaf but the video cleared it up and he knew the rebuild was coming. The fact is platigauge wasnt used on the rebuild and clearences were off either because they were the wrong bearings or assembly error either way plastigauge coulda saved him $2K.

I forgot to mention that slowtalon, we were just gonna run the oil trough to rinse the oil trough. to see if the filter caught any more metal. which it did.

:tup: to whate people have to say on cutting corners!

when i had my motor built, i thought i was gonna sell it, so rather than buying a new crank and all new rods, i had the crank machined and had only the bad rods replaced. now that i am keeping it and modding it, i have to ask myself everytime i want to buy something, ‘will my bottom end handle it?’ and i kno that eventually, its gonna grenade again if i start modding it (which i am) and its just a matter of time. im kicking meself in the ass for not spending the extra money and getting a new crank and building the bottom end up a little mroe than i did.

^^^^^^^^^^

and Dos posting to pictures of a downpipe that didnt fit right…

not trying to start shit…who knows this all could be freak happenings and bad luck…a shitty turbo kit to start with only leads to more dollars spent…whatever not my car or money

fuckin’ A dude!! shitty luck with that. knock is a real bitch (I have experienced this myself) don’t re-use the crank, a $2200 re-built shortblock is a great deal!!

the original pics looked bad but putting the v-clamp on loosly then connecting the wastegate then tightening down the v-clamp and it fit fine. i think the the clamp was on to tight and didnt give the downpipe enough play to settle into a good spot thats what the original proble seemed to be. Lack of lubrication was probably from the turbo being clocked wrong and the oil return was at the very bottom of the turbo so basically any oil in the center section was draining out way to fast with the 10an return line now the turbo is clocked so the center will allways have oil in there. Adam hasnt shortcutted to much on this project, he payed good money for the install and bought good parts so the notion of cutting corners is rediculous, i agree he shouldnt have drove it without a tune and he shoulda changed the oil pump but the pump is in good working order it didnt have 100k miles on it, thats not what caused the problem.

let me clear some stuff up here:

there WAS engine noise when Dos had the car tuned, i know this because that same noise that we heard on the tape was there when the turbo was still functional … i head it when dos took me for a cruise in the car

the turbo DID NOT BLOW because of a bad fitting downpipe. people seam to think that a 1/8 wall 1.5" diameter SS tube (waste gate dump) managed to me strong enough to flex the CAST STEEL turbine housing? fucking bullshit … IMPOSSIBLE …

the turbo didnt die because it was being flexed, it died of lack of lubrication due to the engine having MASSIVE INTERNAL BLEEDING from the rod bearings

CHAIN OF EVENTS:

-Rebuild
-bearing trouble
-engine noise
-engine noise mistaken for turbo noise
-bearings go totaly to shit…oil start PISSING out of the rods, mildly starving REST of engine for oil
-lack of proper oil pressure causes turbo to die an early death
-people assume turbo was making the noise, and thats why it died
-turbo gets replaced, car still makes its noise

im also willing to bet that the bearing noice didnt start “later on” … the bearing damage probably started early on, but with the horrible base tune that was on it, Adam simply wasnt able to load the car enought to make the bearings “speak”

he was limping in around town like a lil old lady, and after he finanly got it tuned and REVED the car truely for the first time, oh look at that, a noise i hjavent heard before

You want the turbo pointing down, or at least no more than a 30degree angle. You do not want oil to build up in the center section.

yes thank you for ponting that out, it was the excat same noise.

The turbu is clocked at about a 35 degree angle. thanks for the heads up tough i will proball just move it a tad to get it under the 30 degree mark.

DISCLAIMER: i dont know exactly how things are supposed to look

i saw the bearing last night, and the carnage is bad, but we all knew that.

The bearings seemed to have not fit very well, there was back and forth play in them slightly, it just didnt seem right to me, but at the same time, see disclaimer

also i am with hrk

there is no way in the world that a fucking wastgate dump tube managed to put enough stress on the turbo as the damn thing to grenade. Seriously, were not even talking about a used turbo with a little shaft play, the thing is a brand new turbo, and even if there was some slight chance that it did move it a little bit, it couldnt have been any worse then a turbo, with say, a slight amount of shaft play. That could not ahve realisticly caused this

ive got my money on wrong bearings, and then clogged everything internally in the motor and then starved the turbo.