Think i need my crank machined? (56k no)

Listen, everything everyone says about the bearings is logical and makes sense. As far as the downpipe goes, this was speculation coming from the idea that everything else was in order. I not only had to use a big ass prybar to line it up, (and for informational sake, the V-Band was not only loose, the nut wasn’t even on) but the had to take another prybar to line it up with the rest of the exhaust. Now, would this flex the center section of the turbo? Not to any great extent, however were talking about a thrust bearing center section and any stress to one side would definitely wipe them out. As far as a turbo w/ shaft play that is wear between the bearing and shaft. Again this was just speculation and the idea is sound. Now on the rod bearings, would plastigauge have shown a clearence issue, of course. However; the only reason for a clearence issue would be the use of the wrong bearings. The research and purchase of all parts was done by Adam, not I. The crankshaft showed no signs of wear, so while the use of plastigauge would have been an extra precaution, it shouldn’t have been necessary. Now we get into the select a size bearings (the rod bearings are sized in accordance with difference in crankshaft rod journal and rod diameter)

Here are the specs for the Supra Turbo and IS300

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c219/Jeffholl/94SupraTurboClearencespecs.jpghttp://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c219/Jeffholl/IS300Clearencespecs.jpg

Here are the specs for the Supra Turbo and IS300
[/QUOTE]

there wouldnt have been ANY pressure on the bearings on the turbo … impossible

tru this: take a 12" ruler and flex it in your hands … this is what people claim was happening with the turbo …

now take a short block of wood, lay the first 4"of the ruler on top of it , and run 2 lag bolts thru everything into the work bench (at the 2" and 3" marks)

pry up on the tip of the ruler by the block of wood (1" mark)

the only place the ruler will flex is between the bolts and the end your prying upwards … in that first 2 inches of the ruler

the only way the REST will flex is if the bolts are loose, and theres something solid farher down for it to hit … intercooler plumbing and oil lines are NOT solid enough to bend a turbo

with something this important, i strongly disagree. You always plastigauge your bearing clearance, even if Chuck Norris handed you the bearings and pinky swore you that they’d would fit.

UGH all this plastigauge talk make me :jawdrop:

The tolerances in a performance engine should NOT be measured with plastigauge. Inside and outside micrometers are your friend. If you don’t have these tools you shouldn’t be doing performance builds or rebuilds. Plastigauge is best left to rebuilding 150hp Chevy truck engines

good look getting mic’s around an installed crank (properly). Otherwise i would agree.