Thinking about a bench gun....

I’m not sure WTF I want, The only thinkg I can discribe is on I get a new gun its like an additcion. I’m happy with my current collection… besides the stupid GSG that effed up.
I know this is a semi wide range of guns, but I’m just brainstorming aka :ham:

I’m really leaning towards a 7mm mag. I live in the sticks and have PLENTY of room to shoot.
I’d rather not jump on the 06 bandwagon.
Something in the .300s would do.

suggestions?

Hard to beat a good 7mm caliber. How long range are you trying to shoot? Custom buildup? What action you building on? I have a pretty sweet custom 22-243 type bench gun. Can shoot 55-60 grain 22 caliber bullets at 4000fps if you want. It will shoot them so fast the bullet will literally spin apart. At 20 lbs or so the rifle has hardly any recoil and is a pleasure to shoot. Pretty accurate too but still working on handloads.

If you didnt want to handload, then I like the 300 win mag. Lots of loads available for that. Same with the .308 since its a NATO round but its not as powerfull for the really long distant stuff.

I’ve shot a friends 338-378 weatherby bench gun at over 1300 yards before. THAT was a blast to shoot that far. Pretty accurate too. IF you gage the wind right, you can hit 1 gallon milk jugs, but I shot it 10 times and only came within a foot of the jug. Long distance stuff is challenging but very fun. That bench gun had a huge muzzle break and was around 30-35 lbs. Incredible gun. Many many thousands of dollars into it.

I’d like to be able to reach 500-700 yards. For now I’d like to stay away from custom hand loads as I passed on something my grandpa built because I had no idea wtf it was. I know the dyes are there and all but right now its not something I’m readt to set up and sit down to reload. I asked the guy at dicks if he had a 7mm and he handed me a .243… I just said thanks and left.
I’d like to buy something thats out of the box decent but room to customize.
My grandpa also had a swift 220 but it was a custom left hand build.
What ever I find I have a feeling the barrel is going to have to be swapped as I see alot come with what a 1 4 rifleing

it it true the .308 will blow your hole head right off?

remington made a few sendero’s in 300 win mag and 7mm rem mag that should do well out to 500-700 yards. They were designed for longer range hunting situations. Most of the 22 cal stuff I wouldnt try much beyond 500. THey become too “drifty” with wind. Bullets just too light but they can be really flat shooting to 300 or so yards. I use mine out to about that far for ground hogs.

There are a few varmit/target grade factory rifles in .308 winchester that could also be used very effectively at 500 yards if you know what you are doing. Not a super flat shooting gun but military can use them up to 1000 yards. A 7mm mag is flatter out of all the options. A bigger .300 like the remington ultramag or weatherby cartridge can do very well out to long ranges. I’d probably lean to a fast 7mm mag, especially remingtons ultramag. Huge case, some good loads available that should do ok out that far and less recoil than the big 300’s.

A custom target grade barrel may be necessary for ultimate accuracy and so is a good magnification scope.

500 - 700 yards… you know what you’re doing that much? I’m not doubting you but, unless you’ve been taught or are strong with the force MOST shooters can’t touch those distances. I can touch those distances … well I used to be able to. It would take me a day to get it back.

For tack driving accuracy out of box go with a remmington 700 or a savage. It doesn’t get much better out of the box.

How much are you looking to spend total cost? How much are you willing to spend on ammo?

Honestly, I have no idea if I can touch those distance’s. I have the room. I will never know if I don’t try. I started to learn to reload and have my .243 recipe. My grandpa passed away not along ago so my teacher is gone :frowning: RIP
I want to keep learning. I know he could shoot out to 1000 - 1200 yards, so its someplace in my blood. Total cost? I have no idea, because who knows where I go with it.
Ammo? meh as long as its not .50 cal $5 a bullet. I make it a point to buy a box of something every time I go to the store, some ammo is better than no ammo!
I pay $35 a box for new .243 depends on what rounds I find.

Well, for better gun into check out nyshooters.net and if you want to learn to shoot those distances I’d love to come shooting out there. I’ve been looking for a reason to buy a bolt gun and this would be a perfect excuse

Well I guess this winter will be a learning experience for me… As I still want to pick up a 7mm I measured out 400 yards and set up a 4x8 target to see what I can do with the .243 hand load and factory loads.

Zero your scope and practice at 100 yards… a lot. Then move further out as you start shooting 1 MOA groups at 100 yards.

Hopefully this week or weekend I can get some trigger time in. see what i can do.

Cool thread.

Sounds like a 7mm RemMag is just what the doctor ordered.

What about something in 308 caliber? I’m a much bigger fan of 308 … buy a large box of match grade single batch hollow point ammo. It’ll end up costing more but for the distances you’re talking you’ll need it.

This is simple, a savage mode 10 or Remington 700 in .308. It can go over 1000 yards, and ammo is fair, reloading parts are plentiful, and accessories for both guns are endless. No real reason to go with a bigger cartage unless you want to piss money away or you are shooting competitively. The larger calibers also tend to make shooters develop a twitch if they are new to the large center fire ammo game.

Personally I am a savage guy, they are just easier to work with they offer more options out of the box.

Or if you were feeling real squirly a custom A10 built on a lower that takes G3 mags is always MMM mmm good.

If you are looking for further advice, there are two amazing long range precision rifle operators (one of which just won 1st in a national comp) on NYfirearms.com that can make some good recommendations to you. The wealth of knowledge those two guys have is amazing.