Those against a "bail-out" read here

UAW needs severe restructuring for sure.

When I worked at automated machine technologies, I witnessed first hand what goes on the in the gm powertrain plant, and how little union workers are required to do on the line. Also the anomisity the engineers, who are not union btw, have toward the union workers.

I’m sorry if it makes anyone feel bad, but you don’t deserve to get paid $50k a year + benefits to sit there and screw in 3 bolts all day long. And half the time they can’t do that correctly, or the required work is in some violation of union rules.

So I would go in there and have to design a machine to make their jobs even easier. I look liked like a big shot, but the reality was I was using my brain, working my ass off at work and school, and getting paid half of what the laborers were making with only a req’d. GED.

Some guys had good work ethic, tried to go above and beyond, and instead of them getting rewarded for that, they are reprimanded because they broke union rules.

They are (and have been) locked into union contracts. They really don’t have a lot of wiggle room.

Ford and GM workers care too, about their union. They have had the stance for years that the union has their back and Ford and GM are just money hungry companies that are trying to screw them and the UAW is their savior. I hope some of them are inteligent enough to turn around and point the finger right back at the UAW when their jobs are gone.

So I’m right, but for a reason I didn’t state (but now acknowledge). We’re on the same page I’d say :slight_smile:

All the workers are out there just trying to make a quick buck. The unions came to their rescue, got them more money, and got loyal ‘customers’. Now the unions are taking after the workers and being stupid/greedy.

It’s SO easy to just sit down and discuss what both sides want, and compromise. When you have moneyhungry neanderthols not wanting to give a little to make everyone happy…well, you get the big 3.

:lol:

“There is a delicious irony in seeing private luxury jets flying into Washington, D.C., and people coming off of them with tin cups in their hand, saying that they’re going to be trimming down and streamlining their businesses,” Rep. Gary Ackerman, D-New York, told the chief executive officers of Ford, Chrysler and General Motors at a hearing of the House Financial Services Committee.

“It’s almost like seeing a guy show up at the soup kitchen in high hat and tuxedo. It kind of makes you a little bit suspicious.”

He added, “couldn’t you all have downgraded to first class or jet-pooled or something to get here? It would have at least sent a message that you do get it.”

:tup: to that guy.

And the auto industries response?

Like many other major corporations, all three have policies requiring their CEOs to travel in private jets for safety reasons.

Oh fuck you. Flying commercial is one of the safest modes of transportation available.

I don’t think that policy exists do to the possibility of a crash but rather do to the access to that individual. To protect them form say, a disgruntled employee or shareholder.

:auto industry fail:

i’m still undecided on the bailout idea… especially with GM I feel like it’s give a drug addict cash money and requesting they go spend it on treatment and give you the cash back in a few years.

Here’s a pretty good article talking about this subject:

http://finance.yahoo.com/banking-budgeting/article/106171/Detroit-Bailout:-7-Key-Questions

Yeah, because it’s so easy to get a weapon on a plane or even in the airport now. Heh.

I love the jet pooling comment.:tup: LMAO

It would be funny to hear someone say, “We jet pool, you know, to save money”.

Fuck im submitting a bailout bill. Dear congress, I would like money. I still have a bunch of it but if I tell you im going to default and miss payment soon I can has some? KTHNX, cougarspeed

You guys thing that will get me some $ i mean I only want like 50-60mil?

I’m thinking about submitting my own bailout plan for $150k. Pay off my mortgage, which will free up some money for the bank to lend to some other schmuck, and have some left over to stimulate the economy with. Figure with an amount so low they might just approve it. :slight_smile:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_otfwl2zc6Qc/SRe1OUUB32I/AAAAAAAAHq0/7DZwo3Naf-o/s400/wages.bmp

The chart above shows average hourly compensation (additional data source here) for the Big Three ($73.20) and Toyota ($48.00), compared to average hourly compensation for Management and Professional Workers ($47.57), Manufacturing/Goods Producing ($31.59) and all workers ($28.48),

This includes healthcare and other benefits as well as actual wage. Wonder where the problem lies?

:bigclap:

I dont see how there could be any working solution other than this. Im not saying this will work for sure but imho, any other direction taken with this situation will certainly fail and fail quickly.

But their edginess is so cool and profounding… Any idiot can offer criticism and disapproval of any situation but making a 1 sentience clever little zing is easy when you dont post up and defend your own stance… This in not directed to TrueBlue., but you fuckhead trolls…

I love how no one points to the fact that the Japanese have been devaluing the Yen for years to make Toyota successful. But when the US government considers giving GM a loan, people flip out and complain that GM should be profitable on their own like the Japanese companies.

Here is a good article from Forbes with some other points:
http://www.forbes.com/2008/11/18/cars-automakers-detroit-biz-man-cz_jf_1118flint.html?partner=email

You live in Detroit, your perspective is horribly skewed that the government purposely devalued the yen.

Is that why the dollar is so low right now? We’re trying to pull the big 3 out of the gargantuan crevice they’ve dug themselves into? :roflpicard:

How abut Vettes and $700K+ houses:wave:.
My thoughts on the Big three buyout is They shouldn’t do it but I think they have too but with extreme restrictions.I think that at the Big 3 expense, they should have a group REALLY getting rid of all the rediculous spending.The private jets are a big one.Waggoner makes $16 mil a year + bonuses,stock options,etc.No person running a company losing that much money should get paid anything close to it.
Also I think Bankruptcy should probably be considered if not forced, to dare I say it(remember I’m a UAW member,GM worker),break the contract.
Starting Immediately no more hiring at $30 an hr.$12 an hr and $15 max.No bene’s for 90 days and after that maybe a 10% copay or something.I say leave the Retirees alone as they spent 1/2 if not more of their lives there and you can’t just throw them on the street now at 60+ yrs old.Take some of my pay if ya have to,I’m young.I could go on here for hrs but won’t.
Believe it or not they actually have gotten rid of LOT of pork out there in the last few yrs.
No more janitors:instead of paying ppl $30 an hr to clean bathrooms and sleep 5 hrs a day,an outside company now takes care of all janitorial issues.Those ppl make $12 an hr and are hard workers.
Oilers:Instead of sleeping/hiding until someone calls you to come oil their machine,it is part of the machine operators job which it should be anyways.

HA! To all you GM haterz that say its just the American companies that suck here’s a nice quote for you via, Motor Trend:

BMW, recently the most profitable full-line automaker, says it can operate in current conditions for two years before running out of cash and shutting down. European automakers are looking for EU bailouts, and automakers in China, the fastest-growing market, say they want government help, too… The upshot of all this is that if the free market continues unabated, and the global recession (or whatever we’re in) marches on for a couple of years, then most every major automaker will have filed for bankruptcy.

The biggest problem here is the current economic conditions. It just so happens that the US feels everything first and the world follows. I hope all you import humpers bash BMW and Toyota just as hard when they file chapter 11 also!

…waiting for the fucking idiots to say BMW puts out a shitty product and thats why they’re in trouble… :picard:

all the car companies are going to cry regardless of how they’re really doing because they don’t want to miss out on a big cash handout…

GM however, really is in trouble because of their shitty products which are not desired along with horrible management and bloodsucking unions.

Thats not entirely true. Although their products are not superior… they are no longer “shitty.” “Shitty” GM products was 1990-2002. They are starting to sort out their shit with these cars… But everyone can agree that the damage had already been done.