Those who have had Lasik...

definitely thinking about this, i cant see anything farther than 1.5 ft from my face (no exageration) without contacts and whenever sweat gets in my eyes with the contacts they tear up and get all red and shit. thanks for all the reviews.

I had a horrible experience at Lasik Plus in Corporate Woods (botched the 1st eye they started on, ended up with a bandage contact that I had to wear for 2 weeks, gave me a full refund on the spot, sent me home where I went into mild shock due to pain after the initial anesthetic wore off - you know, the usual stuff - oh, and the lady before me had the same thing happen to her; I know because the doctor and assistants started arguing - heatedly - while I laid on the table scared shitless, about why if the microkeratome f’ed up on that lady, why were they using it on me - it was fail-tastic), and eventually got the procedure done correctly about 7 months later at TLC in Corporate Woods without any complications. I’m not saying the surgery isn’t worth it, but I learned cost isn’t the only thing to consider. Of course back then, there were a lot of places just starting out, and only a few had much experience. The ones with experience charged for it. It’s a very different landscape now.

From my reading when I had mine done (2001), the success rate of 2nd Lasik procedures dropped dramatically (meaning the patient’s vision wasn’t corrected to the target - went from low 90% to 60% success rates). My ophthalmologist warned me those guarantees were just a marketing tool and most reputable doctors didn’t recommend them due to the lower success rates (remember, this was back in 2001). Newer procedures today may have a better track record on corrections, but I’d ask them some pointed questions about that.

^^^ dayum son.

If this is a serious post then ill at my .02. My dad had this done a few years agoas did my aunt. Both were a special type like you speak of. My aunt needs glasses to read still but my dad doesnt. I mean he used to have bi focals and those mofos were thick. Definitely worth it based on what ive seen.

Dr. Mark Vera = douchebag.
Dr. Michael Belin = awesome.

yea i think i had those grandma shades for a bit. no biggy.

those are HAWT

what are people’s before and after? i really want to get this done as it has stopped me from being a police office and persuing a career elsewhere.

at this moment, i see 20/40 corrected…im just afraid of what will happen 15-20 years down the line…

I’ll say it… you have a lot more to worry about than your eyes if you’re considering a career in law enforcement.

what on earth could you possibly be referring to???

'splain urself. NAO.

Man, I can ramble about Lasik all night…

I had 20/15 corrected vision prior to Lasik (but pretty blind without my glasses). I ended up with 20/20 in my left eye, and 20/30 in my right, which was a bummer because my right is my dominant eye* - would have been better if the dominant eye had been the one to correct better. My vision, while very good afterwards, was not as precise as it had been with glasses. Where I could stand a good 10-12 feet from a monitor and read it, afterwards I couldn’t stand further than 6 or 7 feet and see a monitor. They didn’t recommend Lasik for people who did extremely fine work like needlepoint or other things that required great precision due to something called “Lasik 20/20”, which meant while you would still pass an eye exam with 20/20 vision, your visual acuity could be less after surgery - meaning your fine focus. I’m guessing there aren’t that many people who work or perform tasks that require that kind of fine precision, which means most won’t have a big issue with it, but I find it noticeable at times.

HYC - They’ll try to make you 20/20, and most reputable places have ways to make those results much more likely to be the outcome, but I don’t think anyone can guarantee the results. As far as what happens down the line, that’s all dependent on the individual. They usually make sure your vision has been steady for a few years - not changing - before they consider you a candidate. My eyes have lost a bit since my Lasik 8 years ago, but still not bad. There’s the possibility of seeing some halo/starburst effects around bright lights at night (I have a mild case of that which really doesn’t bother me), and the possibility of developing dry eye symptoms later, but that can happen later in life even if you don’t have Lasik. I think you’ll find like most people’s experience on here, the chances are pretty good you’ll be happy, but there are some risks. A good doctor will give you an honest opinion of whether you are a good risk or not.

*To figure out your dominant eye, hold 1 index finger up about 6 inches in front of your face, and hold the other one up and out at arm’s length. Line up your fingers so that visually they are one behind the other. Now close one eye. If the remaining opened eye still sees them lined up, that’s your dominant eye. If your fingers look unaligned when you close one eye, the eye you closed is dominant.

Yea I had to wear sunglasses for a week I think, I even work them at work because I couldnt wear makeup and I didnt want the public seeeing me without! lol