Thoughts on high compression turbo builds

I got to talking with a couple of friends tonight about turbo builds and turboing the Z came to mind. I’ve always been told that in order to boost an engine, lower compression is ideal to run safely. What I want to know is how many of you have boosted high compression engines or know someone who has done it successfully? I’m pretty much just reading up on this for now and trying to get some more info. My reasons for considering a high compression FI build are cost and help against lag. My C/R is 10:5:1, TT is 8:5:1. I think a high c/r TT with stock NA diff(shorter gears) would be pretty competetive.

Do it, and run E85 for fuel.

E85 because of the higher octane?

Exactly. I mean essentially it is all in the tuning. I was running a bone stock 10.6:1 compression engine with 20+psi on a 30r. Granted that was on racegas and pushing it far beyond its limits. I say pick up some custom manifolds, A couple gt28’s and AEM and go to town!! I dont know too much about the z’s but i think you would be better off working with what you have. I can’t justify spending $2500+ on an entire TT front clip.

Along with TT; wrist pins, injectors, heads, exhaust manifolds and a few more parts. What about timing, is that adjusted via dyno tune?

Yeah, fuel, timing etc. I remember seeing this up at Synapse a while back. Pretty cool car.

http://synapseturbo.com/gallery/index.php?cwd=Customer%20Cars/Brians%20300zx

Oh, thats the Z you were talking about. Do you know if it was a factory TT?

high compression + low boost= power
low compression + high bosst= power

i am running 10lbs of boost on a 9to1 vg30e motor. i am using a stock z31 turbo ecu with the timing retarded at the distributor

there are a few VW guys digging into the 10:1, 10.25:1 compression builds, 2.0/20v built heads, high comp, GT35R making tons of power on pump gas, with less boost… but more compression = more heat as well. so youve gotta have the tune spot on, be easy on the timing on pump gas and dont go overboard… but it can be done, high comp is nice because you get the NA like power off boost.

Go for it man… if you just want her to be a little quicker, going with a straight up na2t setup will do just fine for you. Youll be makeing more power on stock boost with that motor than a TT car will be.

As long as your carefull youll be just fine

in for the info and updates

do eeet

Word. NA/T would be awesome imo.

Yea do aem and have morgan tune it and you are golden. Its all about timing with higher compression

Exactly. It may cost a pretty penny but it is 100% worth it. My car had hardly any timing in it at 500whp

Thats how it should be high compression and daily driven

I need some opinions on turbo setups- single turbo with custom manifolds or twin with TT manifolds?

fuck that just lower the compression a tad and run more boost, you’ll be running c16 before you know it and that shit costs some dough

Twin turbos are a bitch to work on especially on your platform. I would search for a single set up

I dont know how on earth you would fit a big single on that car. Talk to Morgan @ Synapse. He will give ya some good info.