Time vs. Distance

I’m in the process of moving right now, so I’m spending a metric fuck ton of time in my truck. (Yesterday, for example, I was in my truck for 17 hours). So I got to thinking about the longest time I’ve spent in a vehicle, which inevitably led to the age old question of

“How far have you driven in the least amount of time?”

I’m sure we have covered a similar topic on here before, but I couldn’t find it in the 10 seconds I spent searching.

My personal best was Vegas to Rochester NY in 34 hours, solo. Had just finished doing a rally and decided to make a run of it home. Slept for 3-4 hours in Nebraska in a truck stop, got back up and bombed home. I ended up meeting up with a few people coming home from Dunnville on the thruway that probably remember me going past them (theblue/Copper/dmoff).

It’s a ~68mph average over 34 hours (2338 miles).

For ref, Alex Roy’s average speed setting the trans continental record (with codrivers) was 90.1mph (over 2701 miles).

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/200535_1004810577924_1754684249_4542_3781003_n.jpg

Post yours, include a photo if you feel like it.

Formula for lazy people:

MILES ÷ Time = Avg. Speed

Trip to Pittsburgh last weekend for my Bday & auto show

I-90 W and I-79 S
3 hours and 21 Mins

I left at exactly 2am and arrived in the city at 4:15, walked into the hotel at 4:30

soo… 208 miles ÷ 2 hours 15 minutes = 92.44 mph?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20402[/ATTACH]

Right around 68 is the fastest I’ve averaged over long spans of time including stops, Austin-Bufalo a few times, ton of Allentown PA to Rochester or Buffalo (25k miles doing this in 4 months), and Hartford CT to Buffalo for 3 years when the wife got her masters.

Longest - 34 hours, Buffalo - SLC when I moved last April; 2000 miles. Did this with myself, my 5 month prego wife, 2 50# dogs in my Grand Cherokee, while towing her '11 Cruze on a Dolly packed full of crap. Took one stop in Iowa or Nebraska, don’t remember which for about 3-4 hours to sleep because neither of us could stay awake. We also stopped about every 2 hours for bathroom breaks.

2000/34 = 58.8 mph average - not bad considering the constraints

Fastest - Rochester NY to just outside Milwaukee WI - 9 hours; 735 miles door to door, Solo trip the one and only time I drove my Firebird out there in '00.

735/9 = 81.6 mph average - Yea, I was doing well into the triple digits once I got past Cleveland, and went through Chicago about 3am; which consisted of going WITH traffic at close to 90. And people wonder why I always use a good CB radio on road trips… You know where the cops are MILES before you get anywhere near them. I’ve done this trip since I was 8 years old as a passenger, and been driving it solo or with people since I was 16. I honestly can not remember how many times I’ve done this route. Did it with TPGSR once, I think we did it in about 10 or 11 hours, which is average for me.

81mph average over 700+ miles is seriously booking it.

My BEST is probably about the same, 1400 miles in approx 17 hours, but that was with codrivers.

I was once sleeping in the back of a car that made it from Buffalo to NYC in 5 hours, lol. So at roughly 400 miles the average speed would have been 80mph.

My solo best was Cleveland to Minneapolis is 10hr 15m…~775 miles…averaged~76mph. This also included a stop from Wisconsin’s finest for about 15 minutes.

With co-drivers, Minneapolis to Butte, MT in 14 hours…~1100 miles…averaged~76mph. No day time speed limit in Montana was nice, forgot this fun fact and got pulled over doing 110mph at about 11pm. $120 cash bail on the spot and we were off!

I’ve since given up on the 90+mph roadtrips, I’m old now and tend to carry 75mph and not worry about shit.

Same. I just cruise now as well.

I remember this… we had a convoy going about 80mph and ripped past us at what must have been 120-140mph

I don’t think I have anything to win in this thread. I did Naples, Fl -> Miami -> Key West -> Naples in the same day

I don’t have any impressive feats for long distance since I haven’t driven too many solo trips. But I am going down to NYC today so you got me thinking lol
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lfp2hoS7xu1qc9f5v.jpg

I have done Syracuse to Buffalo so many times though and never have really attempted to go for a personal best time, but so far it’s been 1 hour 40 minutes over a distance of exactly 150 miles. Works out to averaging 90MPH.

I almost don’t want to admit to this, but it was WAYYYY higher than that. I was deep in 6th

when an e30 swap car was down I rode my r6 to mid ohio once, don’t remember the time though. slapped the v1 on, leathers, backpack of clothes and left. 70 through NYS 80 through PA then i started getting cold. 120 through most of ohio, got up to 165 for a stretch.

A few of 12 hrs Norfolk -> Daytona averaging 80mph in the truck with 2 motorcycles in the bed

nowadays I typically drive between 10 and 30 hours a week on road trips getting vehicles. 65-70mph like an old man.

though last week we did average 85 from Albany, didn’t want to miss the sabres game

Jeller and I did Havasu to Oklahoma city in 14 hours (1069 miles) with the SRT4 which took a ton of gas stops (it’s a tiny gas tank) it was 76mph average with 5 stops for gas (those eat up more time than you think.

X…

It was around 12 years ago. Latham to West Seneca in 3h20m for an 88mph average.

Probably would have been quicker but I hit lake effect snow from that big hill outside Herkimer to just past Syracuse, so I slowed down for a bit.

I’m also no longer in the high speed road trip camp.

Drive from Orchard Park to Boston Mass. several times a year one of my better times was about 5 hours 45 minutes. Its about a 460 mile trip. So I was averaging about 80mph for the trip.

Heres another trip I must have hit traffic.
http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n494/Jimshorts868/Car/1122112017_0001.jpg

SLC to Buffalo

2050 miles ÷ 30 hrs = 68.3 mph

Last one I paid attention to was on a family trip. Allroad, loaded, including Spock Coffin on the roof, 2 younger kids. 844 miles, exactly 12 hours. Averaged slightly over 70 including stops.

I’ve got quite a few trips from exit 50 to exit 48 or whatever batavia is on the bike with average speeds over 100 to test the “ezpass distance / time will get you tickets” myth. No tickets. Those days are long gone though. I’m a 7-8 mph over guy now. Speed limit during work hours.

If we wouldn’t have stopped to sleep we would’ve been VERY close to this; I was doing 80-85 most of the way when I was driving; Jenn (my wife) was doing 75-80 when she was driving.

I’m doing a Rochester-SLC trip later this year, probably 3 drivers; we should be able to get close to the 30 hr mark.

lol, 2 exits on the thruway? Really? If we want to talk about Buffalo to Toronto or Rochester to Buffalo times in the early 2000’s that’s an entirely different topic. 100+mph averages all day.