timing belt deflection max

whats the max deflection for a timing belt for my gsr? i’m starting to think this is where some of my newly found engine noise is coming from right after me and a buddy did the waterpump, belt, and tensioner. and the tensioner is adjusted for the maximum tension it can give.

3/8 to 1/2 inch deflection but that is giving a firm push not excessive thoguh

hmmm, i think i’m more than that. im not sure how to increase the tension more with the tensioner all the way out for maximum tension

too much tension is just as bad as not enough. wears the bearings out on the pulleys.where did you get the belt from?

i have had problems with advance timing belts on hondas and toyotas. have been using OEM ones anymore.

yeah thats what i heard, i work for advance and i used all oem parts

i just find it weird that this noise wasnt present with the old belt that had maybe 1/4 deflection, now with this one it is. not sure on the exact amount of deflection tho, i wont know that til tomorrow

a loose or to tight belt will definately make noise…so im guessing your correct on your guess…lol

alright, about 3/8 of an inch, maybe less between the cam gears, about 1/2 inch on the intake side, however on the exhaust side its over an inch in deflection. thats not good. im not sure how to put some more tension into that when the tensioner cant be moved any further to place more tension on the belt.

im asuming its a timing belt located on the outside area of the engine and ill say…you can possibly add a custom…“home made” bracket for another tentioner if needed…just an idea…it might help solve the problem…keep us posted please on the outcome.

Where are you wiggling the belt at?

Load the motor with a wrench in rotation with the motor, counter clockwise. This puts the slack on the back side of the belt by the tentioner, or most easy between the intake cam and water pump. Honda FSM states to use the spring tension to pull the tensioner into spec. I usually grab it with my hand and pull a little more tension for peace of mind. I remember having no more than about 5/16" total slack back and forth.

…all my h22’s I do, those I tension more just b/c i’ve seen more belts slip for whatever reason. They usually come out sounding like a roots blower, but they’ve held up for a long time!

i pushed the belt in between the cam gears, on the water pump side, and then on the exhuast side. thats where it is the loosest and i believe thats where my slapping sound is coming from. me and my buddy are gonna re route the belt one more time this weekend i think

just tension the belt with the crank and push the tensioner tighter, boom done

there is no more room for adjustment on your tentioner?..you might need a new one…you should have ample room with the stock one…has me wondering…can ya snap a pic for us…so we can look at the issue?..thanks