timing belt/water pump

Need to do mine, wanted to do it tomorrow, i know its short notice, but Nick is going to be busy for a while so I was seeing if theres any audi vw guys that could give me a hand up in my garage.

I never did one on an Ess4, only 1.8t’s. the actual belt and parts arnt hard, its getting to them thats a pecker. Look on the vortex for a DIY I am sure one is out there for that motor.

Yeah i got one printed out, and exactly its a PITA…or atleast looks like one to get to it, might just wait, I heard the service is around 80k and i just turned 80 last week, but I also have heard 103-105k so im not really sure :banghead

should do it now and get it done with. i think you need a special tool dont you? i had 96 2.8 and it ran me $800 to get it done. i had colonie mechanics do it.

Yup need the cam locking tool and need to pull the front end off FUN!

You can get away without the cam locking tool im pretty sure, just have to mark the gears and cams at TDC before you take anything off

yeh true.

talk to germanpsi, maybe he can help idk

Alright i will

Im debating on starting it today, i dont want to fuck anything up and have it not be ready for the rofl bbq :confused:

so then maybe wait till after the rofl bbq

cant miss out on all the rofling

hahah it gunna be a fun time man

The timing belt really isnt that bad to do on these cars. I’ve helped Nick do a couple and its not as bad as you would think. I dont think we even used a camlocking tool on one of em

Yeah, theres ways around it, you should give me a hand if your not busy one of these days when i decide to tackle it!

pm’d

i was reading up on this and it seemed WAY over my head. i had inline do mine. also, Nick with the ess4 and the twohunge knows how.

dont need the cam lock, and getting the front end off isnt really that bad.

pop the timing cover off man and inspect the belt. original service books called for 105k i believe. revised to 80. some get lucky others do not. if the belt looks dried and has signs of cracking i wouldnt risk it. also, replace the Tensioner with an OEM one or one from GAP. not some junk from ECS

Yeah hes a busy man these days haha otherwise hed help me…i would have a shop do it, but i have yet to really dig into this thing yet so id like to do it, ill have to pop the cover off and check the belt, ive heard wayyyy too many ranges on when it should be done.

Cool story bro

some say 60, others say 80-90… if youve got a means of doing it every 60k or 5 years, then do it. but like anything else thats rubber based, and relies on a hydraulic tensioner, you are infact on borrowed time… its always better to do it sooner than later.