Timing Chain Issues

Kickass! Thx a lot, I’ll need to track down the detailed instructions you had, b/c I am doing this on a DOHC, but for about 2 bills this is great.
I really appreciate your help, and if you could post the link to those instructions I’d be even more grateful.

We used a Chilton’s/Hanes manual.
You “might” be able to get one from your library, failing that you can always buy them at Crappy Tire.

Might want to give it a quick look first to make sure I’m right in saying it’s “simple” since we did the SOHC and not the DOHC.

Who knows, maybe with the DOHC you need to remove the head or something totally retarded like that to change the guides.

Cool, I will. I did read that it’s much more of a pain on a DOHC but I’m still not sure why. Oh well, I guess I’ll find out soon.
On the matter of some bad news, the guy rejected my offer and now I need to offer more money :frowning:
Oh well… This one should do it. I offered him 3K, he called back askin for 4K, and I’ll call him up soon with 3.5. If that doesn’t do it, well, I guess I won’t have to worry about the timing chain for now :lol:

i’ll sell your my SOHC only 5k on the new timing chain replacement… but then again its only a SOHC

I dun mind the sohc-ness of it, it’s just that I intend to do an SR20 swap down the road, and I’d rather just save up and run the current engine with basic repairs for now, rather than paying for two swaps.

I don’t know how long KA’s usually last once they develop timing chain rattle, but mine has gone 11 000kms with lots of hard driving. It hasn’t been a problem for me yet.

Sweet! That’s exactly what I wanted to hear. This means I won’t have to waste any money on the KA that I’m taking out anyway.

Okay, the time has come for me to do the timing chain guides. I’ve decided to go the DIY route, but I’d really appreciate if anyone could list some of the tools required.
I heard something about a pulley remover (what the hell does one look like? can i get it at CT?), and a large socket (22mm). What other things would I need? Don’t assume that I have any tools to begin with, because I tend to lack some really basic & common ones, so list any you can think of that are needed.
Thx a lot in advance!

Try this one:
http://www.240sx.org/faq/articles/timing_belt_questions.htm

might be usefull.

DRE

You can get a DOHC timming chain kit from Inner Fire Engine on ebay for about 90USD.

But with shipping, taxes and conversion won’t that be really close to the 200 cad I’ll pay here anyway?

haha no

that means at current exchange it would cost you 80 bucks in shipping

GT

I dunno, I’m bad with how much shipping taxes and exchange is. But my guess would be about 175 bucks that it’ll cost me if it’s 90 USD after everything is calculated in. And the hassle isn’t worth it for me.