Timing help!

Ok, well I attempted to fix my timing chain rattle in my 93’ 240sx ka24de. I got the guild behind the timing chain cover. As I was reinstalling I put the distributor in the wrong tooth (not sure how I did it, Im a moron lol) so I turn my car on and it runs like shit, Obviously. Now how do I go about fixing my screw up.

I need the basics, step by step. Even pictures lol. Help.

LOL, i was in the same dilemma so bad that i ruined my distributor.

So here is how i did it.

1. set the car to TDC 2 tooth on the crank i believe
  2. Open valve cover Make sure the lobes on the camshaft closest to the front of the car was pointing to the fenders.
  3. Now align ur distributor. There should be two marks on the distributor, you want to try to align them, so what i did was i looked through the head and aligned the distributor lines and pin with through there. It was hard to see but a light helped.
  4. close up everything, atach wires ect, and fire it up…

REMEMBER TO MOVE UR RATCHET OFF THE CRANK!!!

then go out and buy a timing light, something like the one at princess auto should suffice for you, then properly set your timing as per manuf. specs

Im still confused. What if I moved my distributor back another notch. and tried to start. Would I be putting my Pistons and valves in danger? Or anything else?

Nah… i doubt it…

move it a notch forward or a notch backward… and see if its idleing better or whatever.

When I look at my belts I dont see any timing notches. I saw a pic of what their supposed to look like.

And are you 100% sure I wont hurt any internals? Can anybody else clarify?

It might hurt your internals, any change to the timing affects your A/F ratio…lean and rich attitude while u idle, but mainly when your driving but all depends how many teeth you advanced it to if anything lol.

just get a timing light, or try borrowing one and adjust it back to the KADE spec.

^^ well I timing light only works if I have the distributor on the right teeth. The light only does retard and advance. Guess ill have to do TDC. Can anybody clarify how the cams should be on cylinder 1 (farthest from the firewall?).

Moving the distributor only affects the time in which the spark plug fires. It doesn’t affect whether or not your piston comes up to TDC with the valves completely open. That would be the task of your timing chain being offset on the sprocket.

Put the engine in TDC. That means cyl 1 is in TDC. The firing order is 1-3-4-2.

Put the wires on the distributor cap following the firing order. Since cylinder 1 is at TDC, the rotor should be pointed directly at the cylinder 1 tower with the cap installed.

After that, use a timing light to set your base timing.

http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothread/161707

well the chain didn’t come off the sprocket, so my internals are ok :slight_smile: so I’ll turn the crank till the cams for cylinder one face the fenders then line the distributor rotor with #1 spark plug wire. That will hopefully fix it.

Your so buck… LOL… Get a damn socket its like 11$, and a timing light.

Like i think it would be better to fix it correct before running down ur starter or something else like i did.