Timing on SR

ok well heres the story…i replaced my TPS a few days ago…start car…idle is at 2000 rpm…i turned the idle down…but now every 5 seconds or so there is a popping noise coming from the exhaust…i tried checking my timing and i followed the SR20 FSM very accurately…i didnt miss ANYTHING…to check the timing i placed an old spark plug wire between the coil pack and spark plug…and thats where i clamped the timing light onto…

The problem is that i cannot get the idle to fall below 1200 rpm with TPS unplugged…and the idle must be at 800 rpm to check and adjust properly…i had the idle adjuster screw all the way screwed in and the idle will not fall…i followed every step with accuracy…warmed up engine…turned off…unplug tps…turn engine on…race engine 3-4 times…etc…but the damn idle will not fall to 800 rpm…i was getting very pissed off…so i said screw it and checked the timing with TPS plugged in…it was slightly off so i adjusted it to 15 degrees right on…the car seems to be pulling decent and there are no more popping noises but i want to set the timing properly and accurately with the TPS unplugged but the stupid car wont let me…this is very frustrating…is something wrong with the idle screw adjuster??? man this sucks

Are you SURE you installed the TPS correctly…

Reason I ask is because Kyle (Miniuim) his SR20 came with TPS on backwards and it caused the car to not idle proper and real high… But once we figured out wtf was wrong and installed it correctly, problem was solved.

All I can think of at this time…

You could remove the IACV (idle air control valve) and give it a good cleaning but I doubt that’ll solve the problem "usually a dirty/clogged IACV will cause a low idle or a dip in idle at times) so I couldnt see it doing the oppsite and raising the idle…

Check your TB Plate “you can adjust it” if the plate is stuck open a bit it could cause the car to idle higher…

Check your Throttle Cable and make sure its not caught on anything causing it to pull the TB open…

i installed the tps so that the metal clip is facing the throttle plate…and i as the throttle plate opens and closes that metal clip moves up and down…u mean on your buddys car the metal clip was facing the other way? my idle is fine when the tps is plugged in…sits at a solid 850 RPM…but i cant get it down there when TPS is unplugged…and again i followed all instruction…as to getting the car in “timing mode”