Tint Removal

1. get phone book

2. call tint places for estimate

/thread

don’t do it yourself. it’s a fucking bitch, just pay someone else to do it pro stylez.

goo gone is god

Bingo. Only good advice I have seen so far.

Dont scrape anything. Peel the tints off. Do it solwly so the plastic stays together and comes off in large sections. Once the plastic is off and the glue remains: Get a bottle of GOO-GONE spray (Tops). Put a towel or sheet of painters plastic over the interiordoor panel… tuck the edge under the rubber strip between panel and window. SOAK the entire glass pane. Take a garbage bag or another sheet of plastic and slap it on the wet pane. Leave it there for a hour. Get a razor blade(single edge is better) and slowly get the glue off. Wipe the blade on a paper towel after each pass. The glue will come off very easily. If there is a stubborn spot, spray it again. Wait 5 min, continue.

This is not hard to do. Use a credit card for the rear window.

just to clear things up, you obviously remove the plastic bag off the window before rubbing the glue off?

Yes. The bag is just there to keep the stuff from drying and running.

You can almost skip the bag if you want since Goo Gone does not dry for a looong time. I like using it since it reduces runs as well.

holy shit… this topic comes up once per month. at least.

get started at a corner, peel a tab
use a heat gun - or hair dryer
once the plastic is warm slowly peel the plastic (tint) away from the window. continue to “walk” the heat just infront of where You are pulling.
You can peel a Coupe’s side window in >2 minutes.

This also removes the majority of the glue.

Get a can of NON chlorinate brake cleaner. spray 1/4 to 1/3 of the glass, wipe the glue off with a paper towel.
Any tough spots, use a one edged razor blade with the brake clean.

I’ve done this on 6-8 cars now. This summer it took me 20 minutes TOTAL (and 1 can of kleen) to de-tint an 87 Mustang (hatchback, 1/4s, and sides).

Jesus I need to just get a camera, make a DIY, and have someone sticky it.

i figured as much…i’m going to give your methods a shot. Would it be in my best interest to wait until summer when the car is hot? or with the goo gone does it matter the temp of the tint and glass?

thanks for the input

Goo Gone is probably mostly petroleum based so I doubt it will freeze but I would recommend you do this in a garage or where the temp is above freezing.
The warmer it is the faster materials melt, soak, ect. It would just make your life easier. Try to find a heated garage for 2 hours and you are golden.

Throw bricks through the tinted windows, the insurance company will replace it for free and your rear defroster will be brand new. :gotme:

yea she has no glass coverage…trust me i thought about it

Does this work for back windows with defrosters too?

Yes. I’ve done it a few times. Because You are NOT SCRAPING anything it doesnt cause a problem.

IF there is any residue left in the defrost grid, be liberal with the brake kleen. OBviously put down something to cover carpet / seats for overspray.

The GLUE RESIDUE WILL LITERALLY WIPE RIGHT OFF.

Matter of fact, I’ll be happy to show You. Feel free to swing by… Ill break out the heat gun and You bring a can of brake clean.

edit - sorry, I just realized that You were in roch.

Good heat gun tech. Just understand that if you get Brake Kleen on any plastic or rubber, it will stain or turn to shit. Make sure everything is covered well.

Having worked in detailing for over 3 years, at 2 different detail shops…we use steel wool and windex to remove glue left behind from stickers on heating elements. It doesnt hurt anything.

Both my Lotus and MR2 had tint when I got them. I immediatly removed them from both cars. Just takes a little time with windex and a few razors. As long as you don’t allow the blades to dull, it’s about as easy as it gets.

I’ll take you up on the Nick when it gets a bit nicer… all 5 windows need it, you can document it and post it as a DIY. I’ll bring the beer!