Tire Dry rot prevention

Hey does anyone on here have any good ways to protect against dry rot on my snow tires for when they are in the garage for the winter? I mean I know they are not just gonna go bad over 7 months, but just to make them last longer. MAybe something I could coat the tires with?

don’t drive like such a pussy that allows your tires to last 10 years…haha j/k

I would imagine just having tire shine/oil on them would reflect moisture from absorbing into the rubber.

Keep them off the concrete…put them on 2x4’s and they’ll last longer, so I hear.

You know I thought that V16cabby would have had some sort of off-beat remedy for this like “Shove a banana in your asshole, then coat the tires in vaseline and run around them two times. The wind from you running will allow the jelly to soak in”. I would do it too, because his tip on getting carpet stains out with toothpaste really worked.

UV from sunlight does the most damage to rubber. Keep them covered indoors, in a cool area.

It’s been aloooooooog time and over due. I have been getting alot of IM asking how to store slicks on the off season. Here is what I think and should be done.
#1- Let all the air out of the slicks, because if one goes down over the winter the slicks will be off when you air it back up.

#2 Take two 5- gal buckets put the open side down and then put the wheel on top. Then take the #2 bucket and do the same thing. Then cover them up with a blanket, using plastic could cause moisture.

#3 The reason for the buckets is to keep the slicks off the concert and causing a flat spot on the slicks and keeping them from touching sidewall to sidewall.

#4 Keep them out of direct sun light and dry and try to keep them above 50 deg and above.

I know this sounds funny LOL, but I have some racers storing their slicks in their bedroom.

Good Luck and be SAFE.

John@M&H-Hashims

[QUOTE=fmfkid250;650984][/QUOTE]

This sounds like the most reasonable method. I’ll take them up to the attic tonight I guess. It’s always super dry up there.

:rofl: :rofl:

are they 35 year old Polyglass GT’s??? i wouldn;t even put any thought into it, they are fine.

nitrogen fill them

o2 breaks them down- nitrogen will not attack the rubber compond

That sucks because it’s awful hard to avoid oxygen.

certain tire places fill them that way-

one pennzoil tire change place in mckeesport comes to mind
cant remember the name

Load them up with baby oil