titanium questions

i saw this on my evo forum and got some ideas
ARC made a custom mitsu logo for their car out of titanium and heat treated it so its multi colored
i want to get some titanium and do trunk badging like the jdm evos has so it spells out EVOLUTION VIII MR across the trunk
http://www.lancershop.com/customer/product.php?productid=408&cat=49&page=1

so question is this…
where can i get the titanium?
can it be cnc cut? or does it need to be laser cut?
where could i bring the titanium to get cut?

most places that cut material will want to sel you the material also, this allows them to ensure that they are 100% positive they are cutting exactly what they think they are cutting

most of the expense of laser cutting is running the laser anyways, at least with carbon steel / stainless

youll also want to do the cad work yourself, because otherwise your going to pay an arm and a leg for the time it takes to draw up the cad file. its actually not that hard t copy a standard logo like you want, especially if you have one on your desk to work off off, its mostly just about messing spacing across the top and spacing across the bottom

not to hard of a design to copy :slight_smile:

Call May Tool&Die. They do all of our waterjet cutting, good prices. Flow 4800 flying bridge ftw.

“Custom Laser” in lockport can cut it for you. Also, you can either send them a .pdf or the actual emblem and they can scan it into 2D really easy (if you don’t have the ability to put it into cad)

to answer your questions.

1.) In SMALL quantities you can get it from Metal Super Markets in buffalo or even Mcmaster-Carr (online). Almost anywhere else, you have to order a half sheet (4’x4’) as a minimum. Recommend to get it from the place that’s doing the cutting work.

2.) Absolutely Titanium can be CNC cut. It has very similar maching properties to stainless steel. The biggest issue being that it work hardens. The solution is lube and sharp cutters.

3.) Does not “need” to be laser cut. It can also be water jet cut (though typically more expensive).

4.) where to get cut i already answered.

ball park : $80 to reverse engineer and laser cut a single emblem, out of 3/16 stainless

thats a SINGLE EMBLEM

EVOLUTION VIII is a bit more then a single emblem, lol

and they would need an emblem in their hands to do it, whats that? another $100 that will just sit on a shelf afterwards ?

like i already demonstrated, it can be drawn in cad, at home, with little effort

Make it out of stainless and tell everyone it is titanium.:slight_smile:
Or make it from aluminum if you are seriously looking to save that 20 grams of weight.:slight_smile: (Yeah, aluminum weighs less than titanium.)

Making decorative parts from titanium is pretty much a waste of money.

that reminds me, i need you to quote a part in your spare time, lol

but back on topic:

im pretty sure stainless will blue just like titanium, at way less cost

Stainless will turn a shitload of colors tbh. If you get the temp right. Even carbon steel can turn blue and other colors

thanks for the input guys :tup:
i just saw the emblem on evom and it got me thinking
im gonna do a bit more research into it
and figure out what i wanna do

Sounds really cool and looks sweet.

Any idea on how much something custom like this would cost with the material and what grade of it you are buying? Also any idea on how hard it is to work with and have someone mold it and such?

if you can get someone to take high res pics of the emblem, and give you an overall height / length, i should be able to help ya out on the cad files

decide yet ? lol

nah man not yet
i got other car things that are more important at the moment
such as my clutch
when i figure it out though ill be sure to get a hold of you :tup:

You want it andonized right?

i thought he said heat treated ?

Well idk. lol, what multicolored look does he want?

is this andonized, or something else…
http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll148/95LS1t/NT-1612.jpg

needs some cleanup
need to know the required overall size
needs the MR on the end

but other then that, i think ive got it pretty good:

^Nice HRK I could use that for engraving. Not that I have anything to engrave but… lol

Last I knew anodize was a process for aluminum.:gotme:

anodize is BEST used on aluminium due to aluminum’s porous nature, but titanium can be done also (among other things) it just doesnt develop NEARLY the same thickness of oxides as aluminium would, and is therefor way easier to damage

and with anodized titanium, the color comes from the voltage used, not dies that are added to the process