To rebuild or not to rebuild?

I was planning to put a S14 sr20det into my s14 and then build it up (new turbo, etc) but I have the option of getting an awesome deal on a red-top sr20de(non-turbo) red-top from a nx2000 with 260,000k and an AWD GTIR tranny(newer). 2 Questions;

1. Can I get the srde fully rebuilt at a shop for a decent price? Is it worth it or am I better off just getting a newer s14 sr20det?
  2. Can I lock out the AWD transfer case on the GTIR tranny and use it as RWD, again, is it worth it?

Thanks

You have ALOT of reading to do.

I would get what you are looking for, it would be cheaper/ less hassle to buy the motor you want then source all the parts needed to make it right. I mean, if you where to do all that work you mid as well just go for ka-t and save the money from buy a smaller n/a motor, that’s where all the expense comes in any way.

You never have anything positive or usefull to say.

its FWD or RWD, no mix n match

Did you even READ what he posted?! You can’t use FWD shit in a RWD car, or for that matter, AWD. It’s the internet, no need to cry.

Actually, I vote seeing a build thread with an FWD sr20de with an awd tranny, somehow work in a 240 rwd setup.

Got my answer, thanks to those who provided input.