Torque converter problem

I installed the torque converter onto the transmission, but it doesn’t want to spin freely, it keeps binding and you can hear grinding inside. I think I may have screwed it up while bolting the tranny to the engine. I think it wasn’t seated all the way on the transmission and it messed something up.

It should spin freely on the tranny, correct?

Brian - do you still have my stock converter I gave you? I was going to use it temporarily so I can get the engine back in and fired up.

did it click 3 or 4 times when you slide it on the shaft? and it shoudl spin freely but it may hang up some if you didnt have fluid in it

The last time I put it on, it definitely went on all the way. I’m not sure about the first time though. And it made some nasty sounds when I tightened up the bellhousing bolts. I took it right off, but the damage may already have been done.

And it has about a half quart in it.

I shouldn’t try to hurry, just screw stuff up.

i should,do u want me to stop by & check it with u?

I put the engine/tranny in the car without the converter so I could keep working on it. Is it okay to fire the engine without the converter?

If so I’ll get it fired, then pull the tranny back off and figure out what’s wrong.

yes,it will be fine,it will just rev ezer so becareful!

Cool. I primed the oil pump on Saturday so I want to get it fired.

Only going to run for a few minutes & check for leaks, I want to break it in on the road under load to seat the rings.

I thought you where just talkin about not rushing. Now your gonna fire it before your have the torqure converter in?

True.

But if I have to send the torque converter out for repairs it could be a few weeks before I fire it. And the only way to prime the system is to take the intake manifold back off.

As long as it doesn’t hurt anything I was just going to run for a little while to diagnose any problems.