Toshiba bring the first 4K TV to the US....

http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/06/toshibas-55-inch-4k-glasses-free-3dtv-ships-in-the-us-early-nex/?a_dgi=aolshare_twitter

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2011/01/4k-toshiba-3d-tv.jpg

It’s not a big surprise after launching in Germany and Japan, but Toshiba PR has confirmed to us and CNET that the company’s 3,840x2,160 resolution autostereoscopic 3DTV will make its US debut in the first quarter of 2012, matching the “end of fiscal year” prediction we’d heard previously. There’s no details on pricetag or model #, but given its $10,000~ sticker price overseas, we’d start shaking out those couch cushions now. The LCD maintains its QuadHD resolution when displaying 2D content, however switching into 3D mode drops the resolution to 720p. Other than removing the need for viewers to wear glasses to see the effect, it also uses face tracking to fine tune the experience for up to nine people. We’ll have more info once it’s officially unveiled in a few days, until then feel free to drool over the prototype it showed off last year.

interesting… but I’m still more excited about LG’s 55" OLED that’s about to drop.

http://singularityhub.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/LG-OLED-55.jpg

look how thin:

:pedo4:interesting.

Thats great, 4k and all… but what is broadcast or available on media in that resolution?

If that 55" was about 1’ bigger, I’d be all over it.

yeah I would rather that LG TV

LG sexy

Nothing broadcasts in 4k. Movies in the theater are 4K but unless you’re sneaking film out the back door of your local Regal Cinema…

… Or pick up a RED ONE and film your own :slight_smile:

4k is film only? What is the digital projection at now? (obv I’m too lazy to google it, and it will keep the conversation going)

I’m still happy with 1080P BTW… lol

Almost no one is shipping film anymore, the majority of theatres swapped to digital transcoding years ago. It’s still in a proprietary format though (provided by Sony if I remember correctly).

I meant to say “films” as in “movies” not literally the medium on which the movie is distributed to the theater, lol.

They make 4K projectors, but I’m not sure if they’re commercial only. I’ve never looked into them.

When I was in Tokyo in the Sony building the top floor had a 4K projection movie theater that was playing demos.

Film is still the norm if I recall correctly. All of the hardware changes have kept most theaters on film. And nothing digital can duplicate film today.

That may have changed recently, but I swear I just read that.

There are many benefits of digital, heck even just e-mailing the movie instead of delivery. It is also easier to bill it that way.

Most movies are still SHOT on film, most “films” are delivered in Digital format to theatres. Majority of cases, it was just another nail in Kodak’s coffin a few years back.

:word: I see.

Regal on Transit is still projector/film for their IMax stuff

Kodak deserves to be out of business. They failed to see digital photography taking off and it almost cost them the company. 10 years later and they made the exact same mistake with film. There was an article I was reading just a few weeks ago about the big push by theaters and studios to go to digital projection and they interviewed Kodak. Sure enough, Kodak’s stance was they weren’t really doing much with digital and instead concentrating on their traditional film clients. :picard:

I’ve (in the past few years) been at theatres and seen them taking delivery of what appeared to be large spools of film with locks on them. I don’t think it’s entirely digital.

That’s what I though. MPD why would you mislead me?

4k and film are almost identical to the eye.

Sony just announced a BluRay player that up-scales from 1080p to 4k so at least there will be something to play on this TV, lol.

I didn’t. The switch to digital was announced in 2006, the major studios backed it in 2007 with a financial commitment to local chains. AMC converted to 4k starting in 2008, Cinemark converted to 2k digital and is now reconverting to 4k, I couldn’t find when regal converted, or to what format, mostly because they have awful establishments anyway.

I can never trust you again…