Anyone have a DLP TV?

so i know back when i worked at circuit, DLP was the new and upcoming hot shit, but i havent followed it too much since then to see if samsung and texas instruments perfect the DLP engine or not

anyone have one? opinions?

good overall picture? decent for gaming?

opinions plzzzz

i have one, it does the job :stuck_out_tongue:

when did u buy a DLP?

Bought a Samsung DLP ~3 months ago. Love it.

Come check it out when You pick up the 75 gal fish tank :stuck_out_tongue:

Pros:
Pic Quality
Contrast
Viewing angle
No babysitting (a la plasma)
No draggin pixel shift (a la lcd)
No “black grass” or other commonly mentioned pitfalls

Con:
~18"s deep
“Warms Up” for 1 - 5 seconds on power-up
Not a fan of the default “Game” mode - but this is a model specific item. Xbocks looks better on “movie” or “Standard” mode then “Game”

Overall:
The wife & I spent 20-40 minutes in each of 6-7 retail places checking out quite a few units, the DLP always won. We’ve had it home for 3 months and prolly used it for 300-400 hours… no real complaints or problems (other then mentioned).

hrm…now the decision is 42", 46", or 50"

lol

I dunno… Not a fan of DLP… when I worked at stereo I started to see the dreaded rainbow… Once you start to see it… you always see it.

when You worked at stereo… how long ago?

HL87 series here, not a single problem.

Alot of the supposed rainbows & black grass problems were apparently solved with a new color wheel, and prolly other bits & pieces.

I hadn’t noticed it on any instore sets which are on full tilt for X hours per day everyday. And I made a point to look for these two things.

I went 61" because it was only $200 more then a 56" at the time. I got it home, and I still feel it’s a bit too big. We have ~12 - 16’ viewing distance.

The good news is that we are moving the setup into a much better room in the new house.

Rule of thumb is 2x the screen size for viewing distance, I’ve noticed that a little further out helps abit with non-HD broadcasts. :gotme: So, I guess my point it if You can fit a 50", go with a 46".

hey dude they had a display at nascar last year, and it was amazing the difference between the tvs.

How long ago did I work at stereo… about 6 months…
Black grass was fixed a LONG time ago… I dunno about the newest Chips / tech w/. the rainbow… but… You dont see it if you look for it… one day it just kind of sneaks up on you… it toll about 8mo to 1 year for me to see it…
Also… This is an opnion thread… I didn’t say that you wouldn’t or or mister two will be making a mistake… Just that I would not purchase one if I had the choice… I’d go with LCOS or LCD.

I’m a big fan of JVC’s version with their HD-ILA brand.

I don’t know dick squat about TV’s, but one of my buddies is an optics engineer at Xerox, researches the shit out of everything he buys, has been talking about TV’s for about a year or so, horizontal scan rates, contrast ratios, blah blah blah. Know’s his shit. I found out last night that he just picked up a 62" DLP. Must be good. :gotme:

stay away from the 42", that samsung is the one that has the black grass problem. it was/is an entry level model and uses a shitty screen material. go with the 46" slim model, its less than 12" deep

:word: i read that exact same thing yesterday. not to forget that the next size up is only ~150 dollars more

42" = $899
46" = $1259
50" = $1249

what brand? samsung?

the 50" is 6-8" deeper than the 46". keep that in mind.

i have been shopping now for about 2 months and wouldnt go over 46" with out stepping up to 1080P.

and i hope you’re not trying to justify the 42" based on price. you will be bitching about it and the black grass in a week just like everyone else on the A/V forums.

I got my 46" Samsung DLP from Amazon. No tax, free shipping, and a better price than retail.

truth, but doesnt have the 24-36 months no interest that the stores have, plus the “have it in your hands right away” factor

get a sony sxrd

no