Samsung 42" DLP or Sony 42" RP LCD

I’m pretty familiar with both TV’s but am picking one of them up after work. Just curious if anyone on here has any experience with either of them. I’m really leaning towards the Samsung but I think the Sony is definately a good TV. These are both last years models.

are they both LCD??

DLP is not LCD, its some sort of projection with mirrors

then buy LCD. the resolution is much better. projection tv only project forward. so if you are to the side, or stand up, you cant see as well. plus LCD along with high def. is a fuckin site to see!

ehh, i think with the DLP its a bit more complex design and actually has really good results. but i dont really know tooooo much about these tvs

DO NOT BUY THE SAMMY 42" DLP.

google “black grass”

get the 46" samsung slim projection tv
dlp > lcd

if you’re only looking for 42" then get a flat panel… it will cost about the same.

wait until, a clear indication of when OLED will come out…

My little brother just bought a 50" Samsung DLP and the picture is better than than my Samsung LCD.

The only drawback to DLP is changing bulbs…but its not that big a deal.

google screen door effect

i just bought 42" panasonic plasma, it’s beautiful

[quote=“RobtC,post:10,topic:26354"”]

i just bought 42" panasonic plasma, it’s beautiful

[/quote]

I got the same. :tup:

[quote=“JUICEDSS,post:11,topic:26354"”]

I got the same. :tup:

[/quote]

make that 3,

panasonic 42 plasma WIDE viewing angle. Best contrast ratio.

dlp is too close to dsm. can you really trust it to be reliable?

[quote=“RedrRocket,post:12,topic:26354"”]

make that 3,

panasonic 42 plasma WIDE viewing angle. Best contrast ratio.

dlp is too close to dsm. can you really trust it to be reliable?

[/quote]

can u trust the plasma to not lose its brilliance in 5 years?

[quote=“boardjnky4,post:13,topic:26354"”]

can u trust the plasma to not lose its brilliance in 5 years?

[/quote]

Try 3 years

Ive had my 42" plasma (phillips) for 3 years now and the picture is going cuts in and out and fades…only used 1-2 hours a day (movies/ games) 2-4 hours on weekends. Suppose to last 15 years at 8 hours a day…what a load of shit. LCD for me next time

Thank god for that $350 4 year warranty from best buy

I also just picked up a 57" Toshiba RP HDTV that is the shit. The DLP’s are light and all but i hear are very finicky when moved from place to place (mirrors shift). If its going to stay in one place (unlike my tv’s) then grab it

g/l

I got the 3 year renewable service on mine. They claim 23.5 years is the average now. lol

Mine covers accidental damage. If it gets dim, I just knock it over…Easy fix…

haha nice, warranty that bitch FTW

Well, I’ve been waiting for mad long and really want a TV right now. Both TV’s are $999… The Black Grass effect does scare me but it doesn’t seem to be effecting everyone.

If the warranty is anything more than $150 I definitely won’t be getting it.

Also I plan to be doing a lot of gaming on this, otherwise I would look into getting a plasma.

[quote=“jrod0187,post:14,topic:26354"”]

Try 3 years

Ive had my 42" plasma (phillips) for 3 years now and the picture is going cuts in and out and fades…only used 1-2 hours a day (movies/ games) 2-4 hours on weekends. Suppose to last 15 years at 8 hours a day…what a load of shit. LCD for me next timel

[/quote]

:mamoru: When my output fades, I can spend 5 minutes changing a easily accessible bulb.

[quote=“Zer0DazE,post:6,topic:26354"”]

DO NOT BUY THE SAMMY 42" DLP.

google “black grass”

get the 46" samsung slim projection tv
dlp > lcd

[/quote]

:word: :word: :word:

I have heard of some problems with plasmas and video games(burn in), are any of them true. Also I am not sure how fast moving objects in video games will be on a those DLP, the old tube projections stank for games

I sometimes forget about turning my tv off while my game is paused and it sits there for 3-4 hours. Yes it burns in but once you run a movie for a while the burn in goes away. its not that big of a deal. This also happens to LCDs