Towing through Canada?

I’m going to be picking up a vehicle in Michigan. Obviously it’s shorter to cut through Canada. Will I need any specific paperwork or anything to accomplish this trip? Is customs going to be a pain?

Usually anytime a vehicle is bought in the US and sold into Canada, the paperwork must go to the border 72 hours prior to it actually crossing the border. I’m not this would fit that case since it would be coming back into the states. Did you call customs to find out? That would be the smart thing to do instead of asking the people of NYSpeed.

youre fine.

^Yup. I bought my last motorcycle in Michigan and went through Ontario with a trailer. As long as you have proof of the purchase then you’re good to go.

I figured a few people have done this before, worth asking. I think someone on here works customs?

A few do. One replied in this thread already.

What are you buying?

^ yeah… @XwalkerX lol.

When I did track days with a car and motorcycle at TMP they never gave me an issue.

Ive taken my racecar in an enclosed trailer over the border and they usually didnt even look in the trailer or ask anything about the car.

It’s not that much faster, especially if you have to sit at the border for any amount of time. Plus you don’t get cell coverage. I’ve done both and it’s not worth the bs.

^^^depends on where. When I was racing grass drags it was always considerably quicker cutting through Canada to get to the grand rapids/kalamazoo area which is still more to the south in Michigan. No hassle at all going over the border.

You’re not importing it into Canada so you don’t need any specific paperwork other than proof of ownership (title, receipt, etc.)

4.5 hours to Troy, MI via Canada, almost 6.25 going through the US. Plus the US route takes you through Cleveland, Toledo and Detroit which all suck. I had a friend who used to live in Troy and I’ve done this drive a few times through Canada and it’s just set the cruise and kick back. Not as good as it used to be before they went all 3rd Reich with their speeding laws though. Back when I was doing it I’d set the cruise at 90-93 and knock some serious time off the GPS estimated arrival. I think once was door to door in just over 3 hours. :slight_smile: Now you’d get charged with street racing and have your car impounded.

I’ve gone to Michigan International Speedway a few times, so it’s basically where the paths cross. Once I sat at the border for 30 mins+ at each end just due to traffic.

Looking into this further. A one way train ticket is $53. Then drive it home.

It costs $5 in North Carolina for a temp plate. All you need is proof ownership and insurance. If you are going to be spending a bunch of money on a car it might as well come from a salt/rust free area…