Towing with an STi

i was thinking of putting a hitch on my 08 to tow a 2 place snowmobile/motorcycle trailer. Probably 2000 lbs +

He’s only been doing it one summer, but no problems yet. I think he’s moving it to a different lake a couple hours away. I guess we’ll see how that goes when it happens.

Bottom line, there are two types of towing mentalities.

1. If the vehicle can physically do it, it must be safe.

2. If the vehicle is rated for it, it must be safe.

I used to belong to group 1. At 16 I was towing our 24 foot pontoon boat to the local launch ramp with an 85 Toyota Tercel. More recently it was towing my 3200lb boat/trailer combo with a 4wd Geo Tracker convertible (rated at 1500). After towing for a while and having a couple close calls with idiots pulling out in front of me I converted to group 2.

I’m sure an STi will pull 2000lbs without any damage if you’re careful. It’s that emergency maneuver it may not handle so well. If you get into an accident, even if the other driver is at fault, you could easily find yourself in a whole lot of trouble with no insurance company and their lawyers to fight for you.

good point

well. I am not gonna be towing much with it. Like I said, boat will be stored at the marina. I don’t really think that once or twice a season round trip to my house is a huge deal. My grandfather towed a similar boat with him 80’s cutlass supreme for many years without getting in accidents or police trouble. He would trailer it only a few miles to the boat ramp on an almost daily basis.

I really doubt the cops would care at all unless you were in an accident. I towed my boat with the Tracker for an entire summer, 3+ trips a week and they never said anything. If it’s twice a year I’d probably do it. I store mine at the house so I make sure to keep a real tow vehicle in the family.

yeah, if I were to do that, I would probably just hang onto my truck. But having a 6k car with insurance seems stupid to have around in this case.

you used to be cool but now you are just a puss! :wink:

Brian

If you’re really just taking it to the marina one in the spring and home once in the fall buy me some beer each time and I’ll swing by and tow it for you with the Expedition. Assuming you’re local.

Not planning on being local. Appreciate the offer though.

You are forgetting…

1. If the vehicle is rated for it, 1/2 of rated is safe.

But then again I do tow with a Dodge.

Don’t forget

1. If it is rated for x it probably wont break until at least 2x.

My friend bent the back half of his blazer down almost a foot but he was probably at 4x before it broke.

My homeboy FunkyLemons towed a uhaul trailer to san fran w/his STi. Without any problems that I heard about.

Why tow with an sti? You are only putting unnecessary strain on a reasonably expensive, performance minded vehicle. I’m sure you would be able to make it just fine but I guess I just don’t see any point in it. If it is only going to be twice a season find a friend with a truck to help you out. IMHO

I am relocating to an area where I currently have no “friends”, so it is a bit easier said then done.

Why tow with it? So I do not have to pay for insurance and registration costs on a car that will only be used to haul a boat a few times a season. Also, so that I can have a super fun car and not drive a boring ass SUV anymore. Get it?

you can’t borrow a truck from somebody for 20 minutes?

I DO NOT EVEN LIVE IN THE AREA YET!!! I AM NOT GOING TO ASSUME THAT I CAN JUST BORROW A TRUCK FROM SOMEONE.

I CAPS’d that so that I do not get asked the same question again.

i towed my friends s10 home with my gti. no sweat

boardjnky, wanna borrow my ranger?

:mamoru:

haha :picard:

should have seen that one coming