Towing with an STi

As stated here towing is not recommended for sti’s and sedans. Why is that? Why can you tow with a wagon, but not a sedan. Im curious. Anyone have the answer? Is it BS? If so, what would you say is a safe towing capacity?

i towed the fuck out of my jetski.

i even raced jack in his 3000gt with my jetski in tow.

i also beat some guy in a c4 vette while towing a trailer.

lol.

haha nice. How much does your ski weigh? Prolly <= 1000lb i’de assume

edit: reason I ask, is that I want an STI, but I also need the ability to tow a 2000lb boat with it. Likely, at most, 20 minutes at a time. The boat will be stored at a marina, and launched right there, so im not worried about just hooking up and launching, mainly worried about if i need to get it back to my house for some maintenance/cleaning and stuff.

more like 500lb

yeah thats what I thought

Most cars that size would probably be ok for 1000 lbs to maybe 1500. I would think 2K would really be pushing it. I would think it would be ok around the marina but I don’t think it would be safe on the road.

Edit: from what I could find the towing capacity for a neon is anywhere from 1500 to 2000 lbs. So I would see what the hitch rating would be for your car or go with the Impreza rating.

Impreza
Subaru doesn’t supply hitches for the sedans or recommend towing.
2005, 2004, 2003, 2002 automatic trans 2000#; manual 1000#
2001, 2000, 1999, 1998 1997, 1996 1500#

the link I posted above states that towing is not recommended for wrx/sti sedans, but is ok for the wrx wagon up to 2k lbs.

I did a quick look for hitches and the impreza ones I found were not for the WRX or sti models. I think there might be an issue with the exhaust or bumper cover.

Subaru also doesn’t offer a hitch for the legacy, but they do for the outback…Its essentially the same vehicle engine and body wise, which leads me to believe its more of a suspension issue

i put a hitch on my 04 and 06. Both fit, but they were a bit of a pain.

I believe it’s a suspension issue. Probably for the same reason an F350 has a higher tow capacity than a regular F150

it’s not designed to be loaded that way

there are suspension differences between wrx sedans and wagons?

Real bad idea. If you get into an accident with this setup your insurance company can decline to cover you because you’ve exceeded the vehicle’s ratings.

2000lbs is really pushing it safety wise as well, even if you want to ignore the legal aspect. Also, where did you get that 2000lb number? Most boats list their dry weight, without trailer. Start dropping in gas @ 6lbs/gal, any water in the bildge @ 8.33 lbs/gal, trailer, random stuff for a day on the water and the weight adds up fast.

possibly… I’m not 100% sure, but considering the wagon would see more load in the rear, I would assume the suspension geometry has to be a little different (or has something to do with the longer body being more stable?)

edit: or in this case, maybe it’s a gimmick to try and get you to buy the wagon over the sedan, if you’re interested in towing something?

Avi put a tow hitch on his '06 to tow a boat, heh.

yes

has he had any issues?

well considering randy zimmer regularly trailers a rally car with a 2.5RS.

towing a boat with a STI shouldnt be a problem. just watch your oil temps.

should have plenty of torque. and the brakes clearly can stop more than most.

About Avi, he hasn’t had any issues. There’s no hitches made for the STi, but I believe the WRX one fits, you just lose the rear aero panel (oh no!). We googled it and came up with hitches that worked, installed it and he had no problems. He has a Hobie Cat on a trailer, its maybe 1000-1500 lbs (trailer is heavy) and he towed it to the marina by the lake and tows it from the marina to the lake when he wants to use it. The trailer itself doesn’t have brakes and he has had no problems driving or stopping with it.

He also towed his dad’s Jetski, like newman does, but a jetski isn’t that heavy.

yeah, its not that i think i will have any issues stopping or anything. The main things I am worried about is:

1. Twisting and bending the uni-body
  2. Transmission/differential stressing.

I don’t know enough about these components to know whether or not it will hurt it. Again, not looking to tow the boat at 60mph for 2 hours. Just around town. Maybe a 20-30 minute ride back to my house.