Good Auto-x/Track car that can tow a boat?

Are there any?

Legacy GT has a 2800 lb. tow capacity, but would it be good on the track/auto-x. A little bit of modding isn’t really a big deal either. I would not mind putting on a new suspension and some go-fast parts. Are there any others?

I want to avoid owning 2 cars.

u hit the nail on the head.

or a wrx vag-on

would it be a good track auto-x car with some mods?

i believe shureshot007 autoxs a wagon

I’m more into the legacy gt , would like some more info on that…if anyone has it.

Maybe I’m being a complete idiot here, but why would a wrx wagon be any better at towing than a regular wrx? :smash2: That doesn’t make any sense.

Corvette :wink:

STi. Haven’t we been over this?

frame strength?

Well, I’m glad I prefaced my statement by saying “Maybe I’m being a complete idiot…” as you are probably right. I neither have the interest or time to look up that kind of data, but I wonder what the difference is in towing capacity is between the two models

adam, strange as though it may seem, there seems to be lots of differences in the tow capacities for subarus.

The wrx sedans are not rated for towing at all. Some say it is because the hitch will not fit on the car, some say the chassis is not strong enough to support it. The wagon is rated, but not very high, it would be borderline for me to tow the 18 footer with it. The LGT has the highest and seems to be within the weight range. Since they all have basically the same powerplant and similar braking(assumptions), I can only be led to beleive that the chassis makes the difference. I really don’t want to get an STi and end up distorting the entire frame of the car just because I “thought” it would be alright.

:word: I was just being an imbecile.

You could always be like Newman and race people while towing a jetski.

Anyways, I remember when Carl test drove an LGT and the handling of it was absolute shit in comparison to the impreza. A suspension upgrade would be a necessity imo. Aren’t they mid to high teens in cost? That isn’t too bad.

You should probably just buy my car.

if i settle on the STi, then I am definitely going to.

I wont be towing the boat too often anyways. We’ll see. I still have to get a job in NC. Then I will have to fly up to buy the bitch.

No one wants to buy a salvaged car man.

And from the looks of all those track/auto-x videos of your car… it never even drives straight!

An 18 foot fiberglass boat with trailer and gas is going to be 3000+ lbs, enough that you shouldn’t be towing it with pretty much any car on the market today. There are some rare exceptions but those cars don’t make good autocross vehicles.

Get in an accident and if you’re over the GVWR (gross vehicle weight rating) your insurance company can basically just flip you the bird and say you’re on your own. Didn’t we go over this just a while ago? You’re going to launch it in the spring and haul it out in the fall right? Just borrow a truck, or rent one from Home Depot.

boat will be stored on the trailer at the lake. That means I have to drive to marina and launch it with the car I have whenever I use it. I would think the impreza could handle that right?

Drive it on public roads, or drive to the marina, hook up, and launch the boat at that same marina?

The big problem is the 1800joesdad’s of the world. You get in a personal injury accident towing that with an Impreza and even if it’s not your fault you may find yourself in a big legal mess. If you’re at the point in your life where buying a toy like a boat is wise financial idea you’re at the point where you have enough money that people would probably try and sue you for anything.

Financialy, I am the same as any recent grad. They are not getting much more then a few rent checks. The boat is free. I am spoiled. Actually no, it is a family boat that I have earned the right to inherit since I have been maintaining is since I was in my pre-teens. My dad has a boat that rivals most NYSpeeder’s apartments and he never drives the poor little guy, so he is giving it to me since he knows I would be crushed if he sold it.

Anyways, back to the topic at hand. Majority of the time, I will not be driving it on public roads, just inside the marina to get into the water.

Then I would do it, and on those rare time you need to take it on the street (maybe once in the spring and once in the fall from the sounds of it) I’d borrow someone’s truck.