Traded a wagon for...

a hatchback. 2013 Hyundai Veloster. Picked it up from a dealer in New Jersey.

6 speed manual
4 wheel disc
17" alloys
Base model is pretty loaded:
Hands free/bluetooth everything
7" touchscreen with Pandora/iPod control/etc
Heated mirrors
Rated for 40mpg

Got 38 mpg on the drive back going 80. I absolutely love it. I had an '02 WRX wagon but was sick of maintaining it and getting 18 mpg. I put $0 down and have a dirt cheap lease payment. Also important to note every car I’ve ever owned has been a hatch or wagon.

I looked at a Focus SE wagon, Golf, Civic, Mazda3, etc but by far this was the best car I test drove. :tup: to Hyundai

If I’m not mistaken this is turbod right? Hyundai has great cars, I almost got a Elantra for the old lady, extremely roomy and comfortable to drive, I also test drove one of these and loved it, but the old lady didn’t like it lol.

They need to market this like honda does the Type-R civics.

Zero down on a lease? I’ve been looking around for a possible second/winter vehicle but don’t like the idea of dropping a few grand on a lease. How did you score that?

I like these cars and how can you argue with the MPGs.

This is actually a Hyundai that I think is decent/not a total copy of something else :tup:

This is the base model. The turbo’s are cool but I didnt want to sacrifice the gas mileage. Its rated 40mpg highway and I’ve gotten over that by driving like a granny.

Forgot to mention its got 4 wheel disc brakes, 17" rims, and is a 6 speed manual. All the other cars in this price range had 5 speed, hub caps and rear drums. :lol: the Focus SE was almost $2k more (even after “rebates”) with that 90’s economy car crap. Their big sell was the heated mirrors which the Veloster already has. :tdown: to domestic.

Heres a shot of the interior:

I was amazed the base model had that touchscreen when I first test drove it. Its a $2k option on any other compact car.

I got 48mpg with my 88 Nissan Pulsar…and it has TBI…and 46mpg with a 97 Toyota Tercel Black Hawk I used to have…yay MPGs…lol. New cars have way too much crap thats not needed, all you need for MPGs is a 2000lb car with a small 4 cylinder and a 5 speed manual…can you imagine what we’d be getting for fuel economy if they could actually build a car that light now? Better than this hybrid crap.

Hyundais are nice cars feature-wise though…and initial quality…I still don’t buy the whole “better than they used to be” crap. 15 years ago they had good initial quality too, then once they were 10 years old they were total crap boxes.

Paulo, talk to me if you’re looking for a $0 down lease :slight_smile:

Nice pick up op!

I’m guessing maybe the Subaru trade was basically the down payment?

Nice purchase, looks like a fun little car and you can’t go wrong with the MPG.

I can see your point but at the same time, why not have some nice features and still enjoy some great gas mileage? My 2000 Corolla gets almost 40MPG highway but doesn’t nearly have the features this Veloster has. I’d love it if a touch screen came with my car back in 2000 lol.

Nope, I sold my WRX on craigslist… absolutely nothing down. Ford’s offer to me for nothing down was in the 300’s/month… what a joke.

Also after having all these amenities in my car… it would be hard to go back.

How much per month is that thing? Looks awesome

$0 down, $249/mo

Damn that’s nice. I’d might actually consider leasing if I didn’t log 25k miles a year.

Needs heated seats.

Oh, I’m not saying I don’t think its cool, it is…I like nice features. I just think there should be the option to get base stripped down cars with a manual trans, manual windows etc…but you can’t anymore. Econoboxes can’t simply be econoboxes these days. Why not have a cheap car with literally nothing for features except a basic radio that is super affordable and gets great fuel economy?

Civic, Aveo, Yaris, Versa sedan, etc are still around… those have no cruise control and crank windows.

---------- Post added at 11:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:45 AM ----------

Thats about the only thing thats missing (and a sunroof) but wasn’t worth the $2k extra for both. Also, I probably would never use it my commute is so short.

I agree with you definitely on that point. I think the Versa (at least as of last year) could be available with a manual trans and AM/FM/CD/aux for under $11k.

edit- Supra beat me to it.

On those hot days when you get swamp ass your going to wish you had it to get rid of it :).

You don’t need to put anything down on a lease, your monthly payments go up…fyi you should never put $ down on a lease.