trailer hitch on a 99 malibu ? how much and other questions

I need to get 2 400 lb motorcycles to florida mid march and then back to buffalo a week later. the only vehicle I have to do this with is 1999 malibu with a 3,1 v6 in it and about 100k on the motor… do u think it will struggle to tow the 2 bikes? can anybody install a hitch for me? how much? and what are the tow limitations of a malibu? any preventative things I should do before leaving? thanks

btw the trailer weighs about 200lbs and is an open trailer

tow capacity of malibus is exactly 1000 lbs…the 636 and R6 are about 370lbs…so you’re actually good by about 60lbs :stuck_out_tongue:

plus once youre actually moving on the highway…i have to imagine its barely towing that trailer…just make sure your brakes are good

the bikes weigh about 450 a piece I’d imagine when full of fuel etc etc… plus gear plus luggage plus 3 people in the car… how about we swap for the week or u just steal daddies harley and come along to?

:lol: if i had a bike already i’d def volunteer to take the PeeFinder

honestly i think you will be fine.

I haven’t towed as far as you are going, but with my 94 taurus ive towed two rockets and a harley about 4 hours away and it was fine. Just take it easy and take a little longer to get there. Itll be mostly highway, i doubt you’ll have any problems

personal vacation?

[quote=“Shrives,post:6,topic:25054"”]

honestly i think you will be fine.

I haven’t towed as far as you are going, but with my 94 taurus ive towed two rockets and a harley about 4 hours away and it was fine. Just take it easy and take a little longer to get there. Itll be mostly highway, i doubt you’ll have any problems

personal vacation?

[/quote]

there’s some festival going on where they can rollerblade around on the beach with mesh muscle shirts and cut-off jean shorts.

That engine will have no problem, its your tranny and brakes you need to worry about. Just take it slow and don’t go through the mountains of W. Virginia.

the car has new brakes on it… the tranny well its ok I suppose never really given memuch of a problem in the past , I wish I just had a truck with a crew cab or something

is a tranny cooler that important on this car for this particular trip?

yea the tranny is really the only problem i had, going through the hills by letchworth etc. But it doesn’t help the fact the car a burnout machine in my high school days lol

edit: double post

take 75 down through cincinnati, don’t go 79/77 towing with that car. 75 is flat and straight, you should be fine on there.

[quote=“Willybeen,post:10,topic:25054"”]

is a tranny cooler that important on this car for this particular trip?

[/quote]

I would almost consider it essential for that car given the length of the trip. Besides it can provide some long term insurance too.

Just stay away from the mountains/super hilly areas and you’ll be fine.

how much is a tranny cooler? installed?

It’s not an ideal towing setup obviously, but I think you’ll be ok. Can you lock out the overdrive? If so, do it. Do 65 instead of 75 to keep the revs down.

What you absolutely don’t want to happen is having the torque converter constantly locking and unlocking every time you go up the slightests incline. Torque converter slipping = heat, heat = dead transmission. Make sure your cooling system is in good working order.

Rest is just the basics. Get a proper wiring harness for the trailer, make sure the lights work. Check the trailer hubs each time you stop (they should be warm, not hot enough to burn you).

If you haven’t towed much, read this:
http://www.trailerboats.com/output.cfm?id=1199251

“knock knock”…who’s there…willybeen’s engine! only if u actually go through with this…

[quote=“Willybeen,post:15,topic:25054"”]

how much is a tranny cooler? installed?

[/quote]

Depends on who does it, but I would also recommend you get one. Also your brakes suck, so pay extra attention to them too.