Transmission or TCM on 91 talon tsi AUTO?

Went to buy a 91 Talon tsi today in Catskill but the car had a minor stumble and was stuck in third gear. Went into drive and reverse fine but from zero to about 40 was slow as fuck lol… Really want the car as I can get it pretty cheap and its very clean but I dont wanna be stuck throwing a tranny in it… Kid swears its the tcm and said he brought it to a shop that hooked it up to SOMETHING that allowed it to go through all gears?? (noy a tcm)

…not sure if this matters but when I test drove it there was no tcm installed, it was already out of the car.

Sounds fishy. I don’t know enough to make for then a guess, but I don’t believe shifts are electronically controlled on something that old. There should be something that controls converter lockup. Is there any kind of kick down cable running to the trans? Either way if you buy it, better figure on having to put a trans in it and get it for just about nothing.

also whats the fluid look like/smell like?

You stay buying fucking turds. If you dont know any thing about the car dont buy it

not sure about post 1, post 2, it was dark red which I suppose is to be expected for something that old but nothin crazy… smelled fine

Auto DSM’s can be worthy… after you dump some loot into the transmission, and junk the smaller 13b turbo they come with…

I dont think I’ve ever lost money on a car in my life? And if im buying it cheap enough whats the problem? Realisticly I can grab the car for $800… Has a double din clarion deck & stock deck, interior is flawless and the body is clean… Not to mention the motor is clean as fuck and factory turbo spools great… Even if I bought a tranny for $500 and paid $300 to have it put in id be at $1600 total. I sell the clarion deck for $200, put the stock deck back in which puts me at $1400… I can grab $2,500 easy for the car which would put me at $1,100 profit.

I would not like to go through the trouble/stress of throwing a tranny in the car though so thats why I made this thread.

Well a quick internet search and I can’t find a parts listing for a 91 TSI TCM. Doesn’t mean it doesn’t have one, it’s really not a car I’m that familiar with. Is this the one last listed for 1500 on CL?

prolly some stupid little check ball is not seating or something gay

Talk him down to selling it for dirt cheap and swap a 5 speed in it.
those 4 speed autos are really only good for the track.

I’ve had 4 5 speed first gens, never an auto first gen… I actually wanna buy this one to keep though and fuck around with it in the winter.

mitsu autos suck big floppy donkey dick. If you buy it just 5MT swap it.

They def have a transmission control modual But i agree there hard to find as most you see are 5 speeds.

yeah its the 1 on c list for 1500 lol… clean right?

huh?

he wanted 1500, i think I got him down as much as hes gonna go lol.

transmissions have check balls that make and create line pressure which forces the clutchs/friction plates together to shift your gears from my understanding. automatics are too complicated and finiky for me

oo…gotcha, didnt understand what u were saying the first time lol

It could be as simple as the module, but most modules like that require programming(atleast domestic platforms I’ve worked on). If thats the case you have to go to the dealer who is going to charge w.e. the hourly rate is to program it and they might refuse to even touch it if you replaced the module yourself and then brought the car to them. You’ve had a couple of these, you know what the shell and other parts are worth, just low ball the shit out of the guy.

Im pretty sure its just plug and play, I replaced the ecm on my old talon I think there located in the same spot, just unplug and replug in… The wierd shit is that the tcm was actually out of the car and the car still ran? Even broken I thought it still needed to be plugged in but I guess not?

Half of what hes asking if prolly the most im gonna get outta the guy lol and thats only becuase i ended up knowing the kid.

Even if the module is the base problem. The trans has slipped for a while and burnt the clutches therfore your doin a trans anyway

good point depending on when the tcm if the problem burnt out.