Transporter's B8 Avant

I’ve been wanting one of these for going on 5 years, finally was able to take the plunge.

2012 Audi A4 Avant Premium Plus S-Line 2.0T Quattro with the added navigation package.

I’m hopefully going to grab a tune and a down pipe for it soon, then give it to Casey to get the paint all ready for winter. Still in the process of figuring out what wheels and tires I’ll be running on it this winter as well.

Avant :tup: Looks really nice.

God it pisses me off that these don’t come in stick anymore.

I’ll second that.

Yeah it is too bad, but I bought this for a commute killer and long distance cruiser, so the 8 speed auto is just perfect for my needs. I’ll be swapping to a flappy paddle steering wheel shortly, which will make it plenty fun. The “manual” mode is actually pretty decent and will hold it in a gear as long as you want, perfect for getting ready for a pass.

how much did you pick this up for? i loved my b8 s4 and wouldnt mind picking up a slower avant for a nice cruiser

Was nice to check this out last night. Hopefully the re-coding goes well. Hooray for gauge start up needle sweep :tup:

Dan

They go for anything between $15k and $32k depending on option package and mileage, I found this one for $20k.

80k on it? How’s the reliability at that mileage?

Yup, 2012 is when they finally had the issues ironed out of these engines. Cam followers plagued the early engines (05-06), then bad rings caused oil consumption in 09 and 10 and a few in 11, but the 2012+ 2.0Ts don’t have those issues. The PCV check valve on the top of the engines are known for going, but they are an easy replacement. Once the rings and cam follower is fixed in the old engines CDI said they’ve seen quite a few getting close to 200k without any issues. They are used in everything now, so I’m not real afraid of it.

It’s a land barge-how exciting is the third pedal going to make it??

Done much research on carbon buildup? I’ve been reading about it since I got my 2.0T powered car and wondering how long before I have to get it cleaned.

I haven’t yet, I should

This site explains it pretty well.

http://shopdap.com/carbon-build-up-and-cold-start-misfires-on-2-0t-tsi/

Nice pick up.

I would own a car like this IF there was a manual option.

You should find an automatic motorcycle then or maybe an automatic bicycle too LOL.

I did mine on my 2.0t in my B7 Avant. I was taking out the intake manifold to replace an injector so I figured I would scrub and walnut blast things clean while I was in there. It was pretty gross for about 85K imho. Considering the car is driven pretty regular and not babied all the time, I was not sure what to expect. But it is a bit concerning if you are thinking very long term/high mileage cars. I see why toyota is running both port and direct injection on the new motors they have to combat this. Cause you know some camry owner is not gonna put up with that kinda shit LOL.

^ I’ve looked at the procedure and figured if it becomes an issue while I have this car I’ll tackle it myself. Where did you get the walnut blaster?

I bought it cheap with 50k on it because I had planned to only have it a year or so but the more I drive it the more I like it and think I may keep it a while.

I would be happy to be involved in tuning this. Nice find.

I’ve just been cleaning the car up in the last week, and finally got a nice fused mirror tap for my V1 so I can get rid of the wire hanging down to the 12v socket.

I just have the harbor freight gravity fed one, works fine. I will next time buy this tool to go along with it:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]35651[/ATTACH]

It’s a bmw OEM tool that you can vacuum and blast at the same time. I kinda made my own out of some shop vac parts and some air tool misc. pieces. But it was hard to get some spots/get the right angles with the one i made at home.

Dan let me borrow his VAG-COM, so I enabled a bunch of stuff with it tonight, I can now open and close all the windows and sunroof with the key fob, got rid of the LED headlight “wink” when the turn signal is on, disabled the passenger air bag warning at start up, as well as the seatbelt audio and light warning, enabled lap timer with oil temp, enabled guage test at start up, and enabled a gear indicator to the drive and S modes, where it used to only give you the gear in the manual mode. I also unlocked access to the developers menu, which allowed me to enable a battery meter, ambiance lighting, and Audi drive select for the engine and steering.

Lap timer with oil temp, and you can see the gear indicator next to the S

Gear indicator in drive

Ambience lighting in the foot wells

Key fob window controls

The developer menu

Battery level

Audi drive select

And the guage test at start up