traveling with a CC + pistol permit

long story short, a family member did 2 tours in Iraq, and is stationed in Colorado. He has his conceal carry and his pistol (9mm) is registered. Can he drive it from Colorado to Ny. Like if its unloaded in the case in the trunk ?

I have land out in the sticks and everyone is shooting traps / targets pretty regular around me, So he wants to be able to shoot it, but obviously can’t if he can’t bring it.

I looked up the gun law sites and noticed Ny dosen’t recognize the colorado CC permit, but what if its not concealed / loaded? I’m new to this (rifle and shotgun guy) Can someone smarter than me enlighten me on the topic?

You can absolutely not bring any pistol into NYS unless you have a ny permit.

I got a “talking to” by a ny sheriff when I wanted to bring my pistol back to ny and register it up there. Because I didn’t have my permit in ny I was not allowed to bring any pistol into the state without facing felony weapon charges

Contact Erie County Pistol Permit office if you’re not sure but above sounds correct. Think you’d have to register in NY under a permit and gave FFL dealer receive it.

thanks for the info, and that sucks because I reaaaaalllly wanted to shoot this gun lol.

This is a no go. No NY permitt, you can not bring a pistol in. NYS takes this stuff serious if cuaght

This. To bring a handgun into NY it needs to be registered. To register it in NY you need a valid NY permit and you need to FFL transfer it in state. This is as I understand the law from when my father moved back here from VA. He had a valid NY permit the whole time and got shit for not FFL’ing it in IIRC.

It is illegal for you to even handle a pistol in NY if you do not have a permit here.

^Reason #2018501285 That I dislike NY…

i truly think their pistol laws are total bs.

(I do miss buffalo food and people though)

---------- Post added at 10:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:11 PM ----------

Also, google CCW Reciprocity laws… you can clearly see NY is NEVER included :lol:

also food for thought. It’s also an issue for states he would be traveling though and reciprocity.

thanks again to everyone.