Tree removal question...

I’m looking to have all the trees in my backyard taken out. There are about 9 in total. They range from 3/4" in diameter- 1 ft. in diameter. They are 10’-maybe 40’ tall. They are in between 2 garages with maybe 4 ft. to work with and a fence directly in the middle.

Now I can drop 5 of 9 trees with ease, but the other 4 are the biggest ones and cover the most area over the 3 surrounding garages of my neighbors.

Now I’m no tree expert, but I have taken down a few trees before and I have been trimming what I can off with my 14’ extendable pruner/tree saw.

I had someone come by yesterday and quote me $900 just to drop the trees, no cutting on the ground and no removal. This seemed really high to me…and that was his “cash” price…

I have another guy coming this week to quote me, but I do have a fairly new chainsaw, 100’ of ropes and most tools necessary to do this myself.

I’ll post pictures on my lunch break today, but I’m working…am I wrong in thinking that $900 is ridiculously high for removing these trees? Also, would any of you consider doing this yourself or would you hire someone?

I would definitely hire someone, I’m looking into having a stump ground out and two evergreen bush stumps ripped out this spring/summer.

Where approx. are you located. I can give you some Angie’s List referrals if you’d like.

I’m in WS right off the 400. I guess my problem is that I can’t justify hiring someone to do it when I have all the tools necessary to do it. If I call the town, they will bring the payloader out to remove whatever wood I don’t need/sell for firewood I really only need them to get the trees on the ground and I can do the rest.

I also realize that there is an initial cost involved in coming out and doing the work, but for 5 trees, I would think it would only take a few hours to get done…

post some pictures, I use to do a lot of tree work

Keep in mind…the guys that are good at this are not “cheap” so i would be careful just taking the lowest price (not saying you are going to do that just a warning)

$900 to drop 4 trees seems pretty reasonable to me considering they’re near structures.

My mom and her neighbor just split the cost of removing a huge tree behind their houses and it was $3k. Had 3 different places quote it.

This is one of those situations that sounds easy and like something you’re more than willing to do. Until you drop a tree onto your neighbors fence and garage and then blow out your C4 vertebrae doing it.

I paid $500 to have one pine tree removed and the stump taken out. I thought that was a steal.

How big were the trunks of these though? Mine are fairly small to the point that I could remove most the small branches with my pruner/tree saw.

A one foot diameter tree that’s 40’ high isn’t a “small” tree.

I’ll just have to post pictures. I guess it doesn’t seem like a hard job to me, but maybe I’m just not informed on how it works. (actually, I know I’m not)
@Beck- 1’ might be a stretch too.

Having owned a house for a bit now and generally being a “hands on” type of homeowner, there are some things that just aren’t worth doing yourself. Spending two days dropping trees and busting your ass and potentially fucking some serious shit up, isn’t worth saving $900. Ask yourself one question when approaching a project and it’ll make your life easier:

“Am I willing to do the same job, for a stranger, for the same amount of money?” If the answer is “no” then hire someone.

I’m going to be giving these guys a call soon. Mainly cause I’m in the town and they have an A rating with 54 reviews.

Al’s Tree Service
297 Somerville Ave
Tonawanda NY 14150 (Map it)

(716) 692-7041
(716) 838-1657
(716) 362-0912 (fax)

www.alstreecare.com

So I found a 40’ cherry picker that I can rent from Tri county supply for $175 for the day. It will allow to me to trim these down piece by piece without having to climb. I think that’s the way I’ll go, but what do you guys think?

Personally with the trees that close to property, I’d hire a professional that’s insured.

Are all the trees on your property?

Yes, other than the big one in the left of the first picture, that’s not mine.

And technically, I’m renting this under my business which carries $1mil liability, so insurance isn’t my concern.

+1

And $900 was a good price because those will be a bitch to take down without hitting the garage or fence.

Cherry picker I’m looking to rent:

http://www.tri-countytoolrental.com/theBIGstuff/nifylift.jpg

range of machine which will allow me to work from in front of garage and from the side:

http://www.niftylift.com/images/dr_57c7558d808e6fb79a80cd2277ee7982.gif

• Updated - - -

Am I batshit crazy for looking at doing this myself? I have 4 people that are willing to work with me to get this job done.

So now it’s not $900 you’re saving, it’s $600.

Dude, you’re smarter than this.

Here’s how this plays out:

Option 1 - Wake up at the ass crack of dawn, and go get the cherry picker. Tow cherry picker home. Mess around with maneuvering said cherry picker into your back yard. Wait for your 4 friends to get their shit together to start helping. Atleast one of these 4 isn’t going to show up. Spend the next 12+ hours busting ass and risking injury. Now you’re sweaty and dirty and you’ve got to get food/pizza/beer for the guys. Something will go wrong. Something won’t work and something will break. If you do manage to not put a tree through your neighbor’s garage, it’s now 11PM and you’re just finishing up.

Option 2 - Guys show up early in the morning. Pay them $900. Leave for the day, go to the beach, go day drinking, go have fun. Come home @ 7 pm after a nice dinner with your significant other and trees are gone.

$900? Sounds like their insurance guy is charging them too much. :slight_smile:

LOL the guys who are helping are my dad and brother, both which have experience in taking trees down, not just my buddies. Also, I’m I’m in the process of building a deck in the yard, revamping the garage, running drain tile, etc…this isn’t just one project. There is a lot of money being invested right now and the $600 may not seem like a lot, but anything I can save on right now ill help me get more done on my entire backyard makeover.

I live in a “country” area in lancaster…I have removed all kinds of trees from my property. The biggest being a 4.5’ round with an enormous base trunk and roots. PITA. After renting the equipment and taking the time and having one spin off the stump and rip the siding off the side of my house, I wont mess with bigger trees any more. However, evergreens and nonsense…shallow root…hook up the truck and pull.
;