trips symantec and kills net for 10min

no idea what the deal is, but the past week when I try to get onto NYspeed it trips some blocker or something on symantec and then symantec disables internet connectivity for 10mins. It happens 100% of the time on chrome and about 40% of the time on internet explorer…what gives :gotme:

Whats symantec say? screen shot?

strange since norton web safe doesn’t report any issues with the site

https://safeweb.norton.com/report/show?url=nyspeed.com

---------- Post added at 01:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:45 PM ----------

then again, it’s Symantec… nothing surprises me with these guys

I was just about to post this same thing. It only happens at work. (?)

Post a screenshot :slight_smile:

same here…but now I can’t get it to do it. LOL

what edition and version of symantec.
what does it say in the log files?

Why would they give you any useful info :lol:

OK. Does this, followed by a second bubble saying it’s closing off the IP address for 10mins

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24290[/ATTACH]

i bet its something to do witht he add banner server is its not local to the forum server. you might be able to configure an exception wihin symantec, unless your a locked down client managed by a central server. are you using SEP?, and locally managed or centrally managed?

---------- Post added at 03:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:37 PM ----------

Because everyone thinks IT people are David Copperfield’s or Shawn Spencer’s. Then when you finally figure it out and its a user problem, you become a third thing… an asshole… because no matter how well you tell a user in a nice way that the problem was caused cause they did something, you are still an asshole. lol

I don’t have any of this information because I’m simply a user on a network computer at my employer. it’s only recently become an issue…come to think of it, only ever since the NAPA discount coupon thing comes up on all pages now. At home, I can disable network threat protection and go back to using the internet like a normal person. Here I don’t have admin privileges to go investigating why it’s occurring.

you need to go take your admin a 6 pack of mt.dew or a couple XL DD coffee’s and explain the situation to them… :slight_smile: your centrally managed I bet.

good luck.

that’s sketchy…I’ll probably get in trouble for spending time on NYspeed on the clock lol. I have a civil service job…

all those popups are logged, so they probably know anyways. sorry.

oh I know it’s logged, I just don’t think it’s smart to go see the network guy we secretly call “the coffee nazi” and be like “so hey, this website I like spending a lot of my time on here at work that has nothing to do with work won’t let me use if cause of some settings on the antivirus…wanna fix that so I can continue to waste time?” LOL.

Thanks for some clarification though. Guess I’ll just have to enjoy whatever NYspeed’ing the browser allows haha.

If you can install browser plugins you might be able to use NoScript/Adblock to block whatever content is tripping the AV.

It’s probably a link to some 3rd party ad/tracking crap

^^^ good idea. hopefully he has perms to install

Actually I’m using sep and sepm. I got the popup once before but it didn’t log in SEPM. Go Symantec

There’s a malicious ad from a Nissan link I believe… Will check logs later

If you get the URL toss it up I want to mess with it