Tuning

well my H22 is running extremely rich and i need to get it tuned. the thing is i want to learn how to tune myself and i was wondering if there were any step by step DIY’s out there that teach you everything you need to know. i know a little bit, like what ECU i want to use, and that i can datalog everything. but what i want to know is, how to read and understand the maps and everything, and also can i get a chip that i can re-write on with it in my cars ECU? i dont want to burn chips and keep replacing them. please help.

pgmfi.org

what jon said…also, a good quick place to pick some of the hardware up is moates.net All their hardware is basically idiot proof now. I will be purchasing the electronic erasable chips (27SF512) in a semi-bulk quantity so if you need a few, let me know. They go for $5 a whack on moates. However, much easier to work with than the UV erasable chips which require you to buy a UV eraser.

Those are good resources for OBD1 Honda tuning. Do all your reading before you buy anything. I’ve seen too many people buy tuning gear, then read up on tuning and realize they’re in way over their head and practically give away all the hardware they just bought and have me tune their cars.

PGMFI is a good source for OBD1 Honda specific info on the hardware required for tuning and how to install it, but it doesn’t offer much on how to tune a car properly. You’ll need to do a lot of reading to begin to get a handle on that aspect. There are very few hard and fast rules and values in tuning so make sure you understand how everything works and how each change affects other things etc. Do not try to plug in values that someone said worked on their car or shoot for an AFR or EGTs that you heard are the “best”. These are traps that tuning noobs fall into because there is so much dangerously incorrect info out there on tuning. I wish you luck if you go ahead and try to tune your own car. If you change your mind or it doesn’t work out I’m always here to tune it.

is there a DIY on making your own datalogger instead of purchasing a kit for your ECM?

yes, but it’s still going to require your ECU and some soldering work to make a nifty serial or USB cable to plug into an ecu header. And of course a laptop (or palm pilot). This is also assuming you already have a wideband setup.

Tell us what you do know/have and hopefully we can get you pointed in the right direction. But as Mike said, it’s VERY easy to be in way over your head when you don’t know what you’re doing. It takes a ton of time to learn this stuff, and even more keeping up with new hardware/software.

well i have a laptop and on tuesday i am getting a P06 that is already chipped. i just need to datalog it and add in the components to make it run VTEC. i need to get a wideband setup, how much do those usually run for?

its cool if u wanna do datalogging and look at stuff to understand what ur seeing, but i wouldnt reccomend tuning the car urself. ur gonna end up with a shitty tune that will be bad for your motor.

Again see PGMFI.

190 and up. For 190 you get one without a display, but you won’t need it since you’ll be datalogging it back out of the ecu with your cable and laptop.

take a look at the hondata site. they actually have a really nice write up that will help you understand what you are looking at.

http://www.hondata.com/stech.html

oh nice, thanks :slight_smile: i have one more question, how can i establish a basemap for my H22? sorry im asking n00b questions and i just dont want to fuck up my motor and i really want to learn how to do this stuff myself :shrug:

should be able to download a basemap somewhere

EDIT: http://www.xenocron.com/bins/index.php?&direction=0&order=&directory=Uberdata

thank you!