Turbo Question/Help

Well a month or so back i was thinking about supercharging my truck, which would have been awesome, but costly and could have had many outcomes, good and bad. So i went the nitrous/bolt ons route and i am very happy with it. Pretty fucking quick from a dig and through speed it pulls, but im thinking more top end would make an outstanding difference. Most V8 kits are twin turbo, requiring both exhaust manifolds, which is expense right there, and most of the time the kit needs to be custom made. Ive been reading about rear mount turbos, but i dont really know exactly how efficient they are. In my situation it would be pretty cheap and easy. Ive been thinking about it, and maybe just buying a turbo off of ebay or soemthing and doing a custom setup. I drew something up on paint, iwas bored as fuck. What i thought about doing was have my friend weld a flange that would clamp over my y-pipe like a normal exhaust and bolt right onto the turbo, bypassing exhaust manifolds, and my y-pipe isnt that far away from my headers. from there, have the exhaust exit passenger side, intake on drivers side, and charge pipe directing forward. then from there just run the charge pipe up the the throttlebody and the intake tubing up to the engine bay, not too far of a distance. Heres a picture of what i mean…

Now my questions… What kind of turbo would i want to use to run about 6-8 psi on a V8? would its location change the amount of boost it would build? Am i just thinking too much and this really isnt worth the time and money? would it have a noticeable effect? And how much roughly am i looking at spending?
thanks guys, -ryan

krcperformance.com

they twin turboed and R/T. i figured out all the costs once, and it was over 10 grand to do what they did, and theirs still doenst run right.

on a v8…gt35r at 8psi should do the trick

The biggest issue is tuning. That is the big block many people hit.

no intercooler?

:ohnoes: <---- me at the thought of a 300hp vehical lol

maybe they mean an engine diaper for when the rods spit out the side of the block…lol.

either way its pretty funny

with the charge pipe running forward it in a way cools the air, ive been reading more on doing this and an intercooler is not a must, just better performance. anybody else have opinions/help? For a T3/T4 turbo, universal intake piping and couplers, weld-on exhaust flange, oil flanges, and a small front mount intercooler it owuld run me about 600 bucks, which isnt too bad. but id still need a BOV, most likely the MSD Bosst Timing Master, Electric oil pump to return the oil from the turbo to the engine, and other odds and ends. im thinking under a grand, but not sure if its totally worth trying or not

lol

it wont run for more than 15 min

not because of tuning, but because there is no fucking oil going to the turbo!

i cant believe none of you who posted above me didnt notice that it oil lines were completely over looked.
ugh

oil is going to be the biggest issue with this setup.

if there is enough room behind the engine, you may want to put the turbo there. so the exhaust would come down from the headers, and then turn back up. do a top mount, and then have the exhaust run back down.

that would make getting oil in and out of the turbo much easier

what about flippin the pass. header upside down, or using a stock exh. mani. flipped? I’ve seen a few “do-it-yourselfers” do that on the older V8s.

I Like the idea of a Twin set up…u have room under the hood for twins dont ya…and an intercooler would help with a more reliable setup…espeically if u are keeping the boost levels down…although true its not needed…but ur doing a custom setup anyway may as well add an IC