Turbo Question

I was reading about the engine in my truck this weekend and found that the compression ratio was less than 8:1. I was on a truck board and everyone said to scrap the 360 and get a 390 with 10:1 if you want to make any power out of it. Doesn’t forced induction like low compression? Also, how cheap can a turbo be fitted to a big block ford? I keep hearing about junkyard turbo systems being pieced together for a couple hundred bucks and want to know what I would need. I have no clue even how to run the exhaust/turbo/ anything else involved with a turbo. I think it would be cool to have a turbo truck. I need to rebuild the motor anyway, so i figured I would check all my options.

if your truck is a 360, it’s not a big block.

weezer 305 > turbo’ed 390 boat anchor

yes it is

CI doesn’t mean shit

a 427 was made both a big block and a small block

a ford FE series engine range from 352CI-428CI and all are considered big blocks

probably, but I want to be different

turbo 360>na 305

we have a 76 ford highboy POS at work with a 360. i would not call it a big block.

Turbo, prob like 3" piping to bend/weld, clamps, turbo flanges to weld to your headers, intercooler

talk to dappie99 or P8ntballer, they both run JY turbo setups, they would be your best resource.

also www.turbomustangs.com is your friend

thank you, finally someone who realizes this is on-topic :D:D:D:D:D:D

i work on fords every day. i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them i hate them

BTW it would probably be easier if you put some type of FI on it.

it doesn’t matter what you would call it, everyone and their mother knows that the FE line of engines are considered big blocks.

I don’t have the $1200 it costs to put fuel injection on it. I prefer a carb anyway. computers suck in cars

turbos love low compression

lower compression= higher boost levels on pump gas
under 8 to 1 = about 19psi in a turbo buick or t/a without knock and 92-93 octane(not factoring bigger intercoolers or anything else)

talk to the turbo mustang guys about your n/a motor

compression ratio does not determine how much boost you can run it determines the margin of error you have when tuning it, higher compression = smaller tuning window. to the “average” person yes higher compression would = less boost

on pump gas with -all things being equal it does.

ill run more boost per same octane on an 8 to 1 car then the same car on 10 to 1

what size turbo would be good? I only want about 350-400hp with a max rpm around 4500-5000 rpm

talk to bluemenie about turbo size/specs

yeah… but boost isn’t a static measurement… it’s simply psi, but at what cfm?

i run 22+ psi on my stock vw motor with stock turbo.

that doesn’t equal 22psi on a t3t4 of any size…

lower compression is ‘better’ for FI, but compression makes HP

true statment
to run safely with no knock same everything = more boost

i can run 34lbs on your stock turbo too then the head will lift or ill run over the crank.

boost makes horsepower better then compression and more efficiently
1 point of compression ratio makes=2% hp

1psi of boost =6.8 hp(1 divided by 14.7 =6.8%)

1psi of boost =.5 compression ratio
so an 8 to 1 car with 16 psi at sea level is running at 16 to 1 under full boost.
try that with an n/a block with no nos
i know which one id rather have.

it’s in the tuning not the cfm