turboII4life's 1987 turbo II

Yo yo!!

Ryan from Malta here.

Just wanted to say whats up and show you guys my new baby.

Many projects to come,
but for now she is just super clean and stock(best way to start)

show us what???

http://i814.photobucket.com/albums/zz66/turboII4life/turboII3.jpg

http://i814.photobucket.com/albums/zz66/turboII4life/turboII2.jpg

http://i814.photobucket.com/albums/zz66/turboII4life/turboII1.jpg

sorry. vista is killin’ me.

I have more but there not the right file type. Gotta figure out how to change them

1987 rx7 turbo II
single owner(58yr old doctor)
never seen snow

Plans:
Suspention bushings
coilovers
fuel system
exhaust system
turbo upgrade
Paint someday(want black)too good to paint over now.

And much more.

Hope you plan on rebuilding before you even think of putting a new turbo on there…

Or anything else for that matter

welcome to shift

Thanks boss.

Not going to rebuild yet. Compression is tight. Never seen red line. No worries…

before you do anything, upgrade your injectors, fuel pump, and get an APEXi or other fuel management. The downfall to all 2nd gen. TII’s is their fuel delivery system. They are barely enough for stock. the second you put even a filter or exhaust on it, you will run extremely lean… which WILL cause your apex seals to go. Also, if you plan on putting an intake and exhaust on, you will need to port your wastegate or you will find out about boost creep. If you have the stock computer, fuel cut will cut in before doing damage, but if anyone has messed with it, you will find yourself pushing up to 20psi on the stock components. If you take care of it, it will love you back. RX7’s always get a bad wrap for their motors, but if taken care of, it will last a long time. The problem is that most owners dont do the maintanence and the motor will blow. Have fun with it, take care of it, and you will love it.
Just my .02 as a previous owner and current lover of rotaries… lol

Kenny

Its a rotary…

If not beat on they will last awhile but in the hands of a spirited driver when most people are doing their timing belts at 60-80kmi you should be rebuilding your motor :rofl

Regardless rotaries are awsome engines… just not as awsome for as long as any other motor… that and they dont like massive ammounts of boost at all

see my post about reliability. I have seen numerous RX7’s up into the 200k+ even while being thrashed and beat to hell. It comes down to knowing the engine and taking care of it. Mine was up around 150k and when i pulled the motor to do body work i checked compression and it was 110-110-110 on the rear and 120-120-120 on the front… practicaly perfect. And anyone who knows me, knows that I am not easy on my cars. I dont race them every day, but i have a heavy foot.

Well Kenny, I’m with ya. The order of parts install is very important. The only bummer with this car in my mind is that it has the s4 turbo(very small wastegate). The saving grace is that BNR will rebuild and port it for under $500.

Fuel system first…

Well finaly got a call from my brother. He is now stationed in Japan for the next 3 years. He sadly sold his 240 in Georga befor he left. Having been there a week now he has started to look around. He tells me he found a great place 1/2 a mile from where he is staying. Website is almost useless for me but can at least help to make a list.

Oh yeah, 1,000yen=$10.:excited

Up Garage is epic. They have a separate store dedicated completely to subaru! I’ve been trying to go there for the last 2 years :rofl

I had never heard of them. He said the store was crazy!!
Parts, parts and more parts! The prices are right also…

Upgarage FTW.

Im not saying they cant be driven and get quite a lot of miles on them before going bad yes its all in how theyre taken care of…

but regardless performance upgrages on a rotary with stock apex seals with any miles on them is kinda nerve wrecking

Fucking Turbo II!

For some reason ive always wanted one on the side.
Theres a blue one in rotterdam. old guy… 5spd. i think. i know it has redic low miles.

There soooo sexy:bowdown

Wish they didn’t handle so good. Gotta work to drift them.

You 240 guys have it soooo easy:rofl

but if you notice.

ALL 240 owners are poor

a little cheaper upgrade (not as good as a performance turbo, but it works) is to upgrade to a s5 turbo with a ported wastegate. it realy isnt all that hard to do. I believe there is a how-to on either rx7club.com or fc3s.org. I did it on mine and the difference was amazing even with the s4 turbo.

I had to lie to my wife:hug to get the $$ for this car:ohnoes

And offroadzj great tip, but I got a great deal going.
My buddy ryan has a s5 turbo. He just got a burnt s5 turbo for $80. Its going to BNR for rebuild/stage1 upgrade(good for 300hp). I will then pay for his old turbo and send it out as well. For under $500 its a great option and lets me keep the stock turbo. I will be happy with 300(for now). It will be a month or so till mine will be done so now is the time
for fuel system toys:clap

wideband o2
SAFC
injectors
fuel pump
fuel pressure regulator
boost gauge(off task but…)