turbo's and break in?

i know everything with metal should be driven some before you go wot everywhere…

im just curious if its the same for the turbo?

Originally posted by BETRAYED93
i know everything with metal should be driven some before you go wot everywhere…

im just curious if its the same for the turbo?

well the turbo is like a fan[sorta]
has some bearings and should be broke in properly so you dont get early
bearing failure.

as far as the unit it just pushes air. so break in shouldnt be that bad just
let it spool up for a little bit then let it have it. let the bearings get broke
in properly and you should have no problems.

but no one really knows the life of bearings could be 5minutes or 50 years

i would let it spool up[take it easy] for a while before i hammered it.

hope this helps out

yea i heard something about breaking in turbos…but when i first put the frank jr on,jay and i just went out on 31 and floored it and hit 17psi and said fuck it…and look at it now…

technically if u think about it a turbo spins at about 250,000 rpms or so.so how effective is a “break in period” going to be for a turbo?

no break in needed here :smiley:

true…

i tore everything off tonight and went to put the turbo on and i forgot to buy bigger couplers so i just put it back together with the stocker untill i get the correct size couplers… and i wanted to make metal ic pipes…

what a waste of 4 hours tonight… ohwell…

ANYONE KNOW where to order stainless 90 degree pipe? i need a couple…

Originally posted by BETRAYED93
true…

i tore everything off tonight and went to put the turbo on and i forgot to buy bigger couplers so i just put it back together with the stocker untill i get the correct size couplers… and i wanted to make metal ic pipes…

what a waste of 4 hours tonight… ohwell…

ANYONE KNOW where to order stainless 90 degree pipe? i need a couple…

give us a call down at hybrid…we might have some laying around…what size do u need?

when i got my t70, it came with these instructions for ball bearings:

basicly… pour oil down through turbo and wait for it to drip out the return line.

hook up oil line, start engine while some one holds the compressor wheel firmly so it does not spin. Let the engine run for 40sec. then release the compressor wheel. Install all intake tubing and air filter assembly.

Keep engine at idle for 15-20 min. to complete break-in period. Do not Race Engine.

we did something similar to that on sailor and i’s car, raun oil through till it came out the drain, ran the motor at idle and let the wheels spin slow for like 10 minutes or so, then beat the piss outta it, our center sections are still tight, no wobble an nat

Originally posted by brokeasskorean
give us a call down at hybrid…we might have some laying around…what size do u need?

as for couplers… i need 3 2.25 normal couplers… and if possible a 90 degree pipe… 2.25 manderal bent pipe about maybe 8-9 inches long…

if you guys can help me out let me know i need theses things before i can put on my new turbo

as for the 2 comment above on break in time… i ll drop some oil in it before i bolt it up and idle it some… break in after a few miles…

just to be safe…

Originally posted by brokeasskorean

NEED 3 2 INCH COUPLERS…

there are places online that sell them cheap… i think turbo-performance.com even look on ebay…