turboSHO engine teardown W/pics

Those rod bearings have NO sign of serious detonation. Also the cracked ring lands are most likely due to incorrect gapped rings coupled with a weak factory cast or hypereutectic piston. The land simply could not take the increased cylinder pressure, or the heat generated caused the factory gapped ring to butt & twist in the land cracking it.

Alex is it done?

Nope, he is still out in the garage working away.

Oh boy. Somebody throw Alex an AAA card. lol

Thats exactly what happens with boosted GM 3800’s.

couple things here

1: rod bearings are maintenance items on a SHO, they are done as part of the 60K service, so the wear marks aren’t necessarily indications of anything other then the fact the engine was ran and driven. In fact these bearings dont look bad for having 33k on them already, especially considering the power put through them

2: theres nothing wrong with the tune. i have it set to be rock solid @ 12.5:1 by the time 1psi is generated, and it stays there till redline in 3rd gear. i also have timing pulled back a reasonable amount, 1* / psi was to much and the car refused to run properly or make any power

3:

I can’t wait to see if I did it all right.

this line has a simple meaning much different then how it was taken. shos are a pain to work on, and alex also had some wiring repairs to do to the harness. if a connector is out of place or a seal decides to leak, chances are it will be a bitch to get to and repair. we took an already cramped engine bay and jammed a turbo kit into it / around it.

4: quality parts

are you fucking shitting me ? precision turbo, tial wg & BOV, aem wideband, accell injectors, tweecer tuning, cobra maf, +$1000+ TC from a company that specializes in sho’s and diesel trucks (TC is a rescaled version of their ford diesel TC… a unit thats rated at 1200 ft pounds) walbro pump,

wtf is on here thats so cheap, besides the mild steel piping ? which by the way will be replaced eventually, probably at no cost to alex, w/ SS pieces

god forbid an engine w/ 200k, which saw as much as 17psi, should happen to kill a few ring lands and cook some rings … tends to happen when you add over 400hp to ANY stock high mile motor

5: beat ass 240

yep, its mine, and i specificly took the pictures w/ the 240 in the back ground because its getting sho swapped, and the piston pictures were posted on shoforum. i took them and posted them curious to see if anyone over there would make the connection

a sho powered 240!!! come on! u guna drift or be gay like the rest of them?

lmao

id run it a little richer than 12.5… more like 11.5-11.8 if you already broke stuff to be safe.

you have a way to monitor knock/timing retard?

Brian

im taking my 240 drag racing, and to off road rallies, if im gonna drift something ill buy another lebaron convertable

and yea, the screen on the laptop tells ya timing and knock :slight_smile:

i know u just didnt say u were going to drift a lebaron…:fail: this was a cool project till u said that

actualy, ive already done it, hence the “ill buy another one” part of the comment

the SHO is alive :slight_smile:

needs some poking around on the wiring (alt and abs lights are on) and needs some fideling on the exhaust, but it runs pretty good :slight_smile:

now I just need to fiddle with the exhaust and its ready to roll.

I cought a very slight brake fluid leak from the line to calaper connection. about a hour to go to completion!

nice alex lets see this pig. Sell me the white sho

hahahaha i’ll sell you my opal frost one.

the new cams KICK ASS. We got it running good last night. There is no power decrease at all all the way to the 8K rev limiter. I plan to raise it in a few days.

does anyone have the number to spinas dyno?

I love scaring the shit out of people with the BOV. <3

Fuel tables need a good deal more work at partial load though. If you happen to be around I want to see if I can get datalogging working. Or short of that write a program to latch off of calcon, and log it.

datalogging was working, it was working just as good as it used to. which means everything but maf values

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v473/hotrodkid/th_PICT2352.jpg

:tup:

Very cool guys! :tup: