TV OPTIONS? LCD/CRT Opinions?

So we are going out tmrw night to buy a new TV. I was wondering your opinion on LCD vs CRT? I have a huge entertainment center that has 40" width so I’m looking for 32"-37" screen. We definatly want HD but can’t decide on the controversy. Anyone have ANY advice on TV buying? We have about a $1000 to spend tmrw so I have to keep it reasonable. There is a magnavox LCD I ahve seen a few placed for $999 I like.

For what its worth LCD Screens are pretty much overpriced. If you want a tv between 32-37 your best bet is a flat pannel tube… The best tubes to buy are sony/toshibas… You can see them from any direction and they have no glare. Make sure you buy the ones with dvi input. Only problem wth them is there really heavy… btw do you have cable or dish?

cable, but it is a local independant provider(I-Speed) in our complex. They are offering HD soon so I want HD regardless. I like the idea of LCD, small, light weight, and I wont be doing any gaming on it.

youll be happier when your tube latsts forever trust me on this one. If you were going for a bigscreen i would say lcd/dlp but when it comes to 30"+ CRT Is the best for the price.

tubes burn out after a year or two…they look good at first but definatly loose their lust. I think I will be getting the Polaroid 3232 32" HD LCD. Its $899 @ circuit City. I may look into a few other brands, but the reviews are crazy for the price. I am going to look at some reviews/stats on some 37’s, but I would rather stay w/ a 32" if its going to be better quality.

exactly!!

if your going for size…you get LCD or DLP (sony or samsung)…with the mat-black finish so there is no glare.

but if your getting a 20 to high 30" & have the space(depth) for it…definately go CRT.

CRTs arguably have the best picture…especially when dealing with regular broadcast.

& like someone said…make sure it has either DVI or HMI input.

you can get a HD ready 30+ CRT @ the sony outlet very reasonable.

I thought DLP was texas instruments?

i’m saying the best ones to buy are Sony LCD or Samsung DLP if your going bigscreen

i think your right that DLP was developed by TI

see, watching asscar paid off :slight_smile:

HD…ALMOST… gets me to watch Nascar

again I reiterate …ALMOST.

projector>tv

we have a projector here at work that is HD compliant and looks better than most tv’s, plus it can go to like 80" or something crazy and still look good.

sometimes…but you have to know what you doing…research before buying, good screen etc…

i might go that route next time…but probably by then there will be some new hotness out.

i sell tv,s dont stock em, but can have em 2nd day. save some cash???

no thanx

-I was also looking at projectors also. I didn’t like the idea or running wires to my ceiling or across it.

if you do that you have to do a custom install…have wires run in the walls/ceiling

if you go projector do not ghetto half ass it.

Well we went a bit over our expected budget…as usual. We ended up getting the 42" Samsung DLP HDTV. Here are a few pics. The image is awesome. LCD=FTL

IT was a close fit…I’m suprised we got a 42" in a entertainment center…fits like a glove. Oh yea it weights only 50lbs and is like 4" deeper than a LCD.

nice tv…

that is the same entertainment center i had in my apt at CAL.

$189 at walmart :smiley:

That entertainment center was almost $600. There are quite a few peices that are real wood and came in 3 boxes. It weighted 360lbs. I don’t think they sell this at walmart? My last one was from there and was all particle board and flimsy. You can even think about budging this one. We bought this at Ikea.

ok. well nevermind then