UB Accounting Majors, Step In!

Ok so I just made the jump from ECC, to UB’s School of Management for Accounting. It’s been one of the first things within my educational life that I just grasp so firmly! ECC offered a transfer option agreement with UB that makes it so every one of my credits will transfer directly, and in turn, I will be right on track with other UB BA juniors (minus the quality of education obv lol).

Unfortunately because I was working full time though my first two years, I had to stretch 4 semesters into 5, which leaves me one semester behind. If that wasn’t bad enough, NYS law is making it so that all CPA’s must have 5 years (150 hrs) of college under their belts.

That’s not that big of an issue as I planned on possibly getting an MS in Accounting and this will just make it so I have to do it, but what im worried about is when UB offers what classes in relation to acceptance into UB’s graduate school, which from what I understand only comes during the fall semester. Do they offer all Jr and Sr classes in both Spring Fall and Summer or will I have to be waiting another extra year to graduate?

Also, How far off is the Internal Audit track from the CPA track as far as classes are concerned? What track seems to produce better job opportunities (more money)?

Is the major as difficult as everyone tells me?

Any tips regarding my education in this profession now before I get locked in lol???

Thanks!

Accounting classes are offered both semesters. I got my accounting degree off the normal pattern, like you are going to try and do.

Accounting is the hardest of all the business degrees. But nothing compared to other majors at UB. I only got my degree in it because I knew I could always get a job… but being an accountant generally sucks. You learn a lot, and it can lead to a lot of opportunities, but it generally is boring. For example, I took my degree and turned into a job as a Systems Analyst… which is moderately more exciting. Needless to say, I wish I would have gotten an engineering degree.

If you do decide it, you need to join UBAA and beta as soon as possible. Accounting, more than anything else, relies on making connections to get internships and jobs.

I don’t feel like typing too much right now but here goes…

I am a recent grad of the UB Registered Accounting track (May 08). I transferred in (coming from two other schools) and as long as the work ethic is there, its not a problem.

You will definately need the 5th year if you want to do the CPA track. Job offers and money INITIALLY seem to be just a little bit higher for IA but after you get your CPA is where the real earning potential lies and when you can move into other fields/positions. I am a little biased, but objectively speaking, I would do Registered or both. Not JUST IA. You leave out too many future career options without the CPA I feel. Yes, there are a great number of certifications you can still earn after the IA track but none as universally recognizable as CPA.

There are some differences in course offerings between FALL and SPRING (but you can/should look into that at the school and not on NYSpeed). If you play your cards perfectly, you might be able to graduate off-track time wise, leaving more job opportunities. Again though, you need to check into that further and talk to someone.

Yes, the accounting program than the other business programs but you just need to get your own work done. I worked full time up until my Junior year (1st year in the Accounting program) and then dropped down to about 20 hours on the weekend. You will find out very quick that extra-curriculars and clubs will mean more than pushing carts at Wegman’s etc. I do however, understand the economic need to work while in school.

In closing, go and talk to someone in an advisory position. Put in the time planning now so you don’t screw it up and have to stay longer. If you are a good student, involved, etc. then you WILL have a job in the FALL semester of your Senior year.

EDIT: I figured Sureshot would be in on this discussion. If you have the grades, get into Beta NOW. Get involved too (not like you have too much of a choice in Beta).

I mean are ALL accounting classes offered during ALL THREE semesters?

I know what im getting into as far as the job itself. I know it can get very sterile and bland, but im ok with that. Im doing it for the money mostly and partly the job security. Im really interested in the creative aspect of accounting and thats why im interested in the internal auditing track that UB offers (one of the few in the country).

Do you know anything about the IA path? Ive been told there is a high demand for them and that once you land a job most all companies will pay for you to get your CPA…

You NEED the registered track to be eligible to sit for the CPA. That’s why I said do both or registered only.

SHOtime covered everything else I wanted to say but forgot to. Good luck.

Thanks a lot guys… this explains everything I wanted to know. I’m not the smartest but this stuff just clicks for me and I’m a hard worker… I feel like I will be able to handle it fairly well.

I guess my only other question is how reading intensive is it? I really hate to read but if its the only way to learn the material ill do it. I only ask because the way it was tought to me at edubz was pretty “hands on” if that makes sense. Will I be able to get by, by just listening in class and working through examples or will the higher level accounting classes be all about policies and regulations ect? Sorry if that’s kind of a vauge question lol…

Also, anyone know about what I asked regarding employers who hire IA students and them paying to become CPA’s soon after???

i am a licensed cpa. if you have any questions at all, feel free to email me at srusso@s1search.com

sam