Ubuntu considerations, thinking about installing it.

So, I’ve been tempted to start fresh with ubuntu over my XP Media Center OS. This will be installed on a $2k laptop, so I’m a bit ansy about the switch. But, I remembered I’m rockin 2x100gig internal hard drives, so I’ll get rid of all the por…, errr, music on the second drive and have the option to boot Windows or Ubuntu.

I saw 2 or 3 threads on people installing in, but little in the way of feedback. I’m fine with Winblows. I get the updates; it hasn’t crashed or caused me any problems. There’s a small handful of apps I actually use, aside from firefox, I occasionally jump on the torrent bandwagon, and limewire for any quick fixes. So, that’s all I’d really want.

Has anyone installed and used this for a while? What could sway my decision the most is performance/system utilization. If XP ran better than Ubuntu on a 1ghz machine, I’m sure XP would use up less recourses on my machine, thus I’ll stick with it.

Any feedback/suggestions?

You think windows uses fewer resources than linux?

:inbeforeeveryonetellsyoutodualboot:

Ummm if you install Ubuntu and you know what your doing it should use a lot less resources then windows.

with the release of feisty fawn u should have no trouble making the switch. im a big ubuntu fan. its free and theres tons of support.

ubuntuforums.org is ur friend

sucks ass don’t install…

just kidding i love it… if you have any Q’s just pm me :slight_smile:

You can do anything in Ubuntu that you can do in winders… you have much more control over everything… and the stability… ohhhh the stability…

one downfall… video games are a little difficult to run.

If your worried about system resources you might want to try Xubuntu. Same thing as Ubuntu but with a different window manager (XFCE4 vs Gnome). Like boardjnky said, ubuntuforums.org is definitely the best place to ask questions.

I doubt the Specs need xfce… and to really put xfce on… you need something like…

P3 733mhz
128mb ram…
shitty vid card…

anything better than that Gnome OR KDE are fine… Just don’t run beryl, or compiz. and everything will be ok…

What Problems i’m sure you will experience is CPU scaling… wireless maybe… Although Fiesty Fawn should have fixed depending on how new your card is…

the choice for you is… do you want GNOME or KDE desktop… look at some screen shots…

if you understand this then install GNOME… if you are clueless KDE is fine for you.

XFCE is still going to provide better performance

just download the livecd, and play with it.

You can run the whole os off the cd and don’t have to worry about repartitioning the drive or anything.

If you like it then install, but deffinitely play with it first.

Its nice for alot of things, but you might find getting hardware to work with it will be tough, and if your a gamer, then getting your games to work will be impossible in most cases.

But if you just use a computer for certain tasks, then go ahead.

Open a terminal
type rm -rf /*

dude, i just did that and now my laptop is seriously messed up. I was in the middle of a project. how do i un-do whatever that thing just did.

:rofl: but seriously, u will need to pop a “sudo” in front of that. most ppl dont log in as root. so type(without quotes) “sudo rm -rf/*”

A lot of n00bs make the mistake of logging in as root and using the root account for everything…

I liked ubuntu, although I couldnt keep it as a primary OS as it doesnt support alot of software I use on a daily basis. Great OS though for a school/internet/buisness/general machine

ubuntu doesnt allow logging in as root

With his 1ghz machine GNOME or KDE will be fine… just extra stuff like beryl or compiz don’t bother

Correct

7.04 has done a really incredible job with hardware compatibility… I haven’t noticed a problem with my machine or any other I have installed this on… being that its a laptop, i would assume its going to use common hardware, so it should be fine… and for the older machine everything should work perfect too…

Game, yes… they are a pain in the ass to get working… Dual boot if you are a hardcore gamer

1Ghz is pretty low for a Gnome desktop… I don’t know where you’ve been…

i just re-formatted to feisty fawn

im really impressed with the harware compatability. to get my wireless working with only having to install one package.

they even included a restricted nvidia driver

A+++++++ for ease of getting it up and running

not at all. i had it running on a 1ghz machine with 512mb ram, it wasnt the fastest computer ever, but better then running windows for sure

I don’t really notice a difference on my 1.4Ghz p4m laptop with gnome vs windows… With XFCE or fluxbox I definitely notice a difference.

well i havent had windows installed on this machine in over a year, but i can say that my machine was never FAST with windows.

btw, my computer is a Pentium4m 2.4ghz with 512mb ram. Right now i am running feisty fawn fresh install with beryl setup with transparencies and wobbly windows and all and i am not noticing ANY lag. things are very snappy, and very cool looking for the minimal amount of tweaking that ive done